Atlantic City Area Monthly Meeting Records
Scope and Contents
Records include: Clerk's correspondence, 1981-1985; Deeds, 1866-1884.
- 1866-1884, 1981-1985
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
Copyright and Rights Information
Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.
Biographical / Historical
Atlantic City Friends Meeting traces its origins to 1856, soon after the establishment of Atlantic City as a resort town. Several prominent Friends raised the necessary funds to acquire property on South Carolina and Pacific Avenues. They formed the Trustees for Friends Meeting House and Lots, a body charged with overseeing the finances and property holdings of the Atlantic City meeting. In 1872, a permanent meeting house was built. In 1874, Atlantic City Meeting became an indulged meeting for worship under the care of Haddonfield Monthly Meeting (Orthodox).
In 1900, the Atlantic City Friends School was started for members' children, and a second floor was added to the meeting house. In 1926, a larger Colonial Revival building designed by Walter Price was built on the lot, incorporating the old meeting house. The meeting in Atlantic City was very active in the 1950s, and it was set off as a separate monthly meeting in 1956 with a membership of about 60. A high school adjacent to the main school grounds was also founded in this period.
Beginning in the late 1960s, the Atlantic City Meeting and, in particular, the Friends School, were hit by a financial crisis. The downturn was linked to economic recession in Atlantic City. They sold the Atlantic City property in 1985, and moved to Galloway Township in 1988, adding "Area" to the meeting name. Atlantic Friends School was laid down by the Board of Directors on the recommendation of the Ad Hoc Committee in August 1988.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- RECORDS OF ATLANTIC CITY AREA MONTHLY MEETING
- A Finding Aid for its Meeting Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library