Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Orthodox) Records: Mission Board (1923-1956)
Scope and Contents
Records of the Mission Board of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting at Haverford include the minutes, financial accounts and other records from the time of the groups inception in 1923 until 1956, as well as those of its branches at Germantown, Haverford and Moorestown Monthly Meetings and other miscellaneous documents, including the extensive diary collection of missionary Edith F. Sharpless, which begins in 1908 but provides a thorough chronicle of her experience with the Mission Board in Japan.
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
Copyright and Rights Information
Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.
Biographical / Historical
The Mission Board was appointed by Philadelphia Yearly Meeting in 1923 to succeed its Foreign Missionary Association, coordinating cooperative domestic issues while maintaining missionary work done primarily in Japan with the help of the nascent Japan Yearly Meeting. By 1956, the responsibilities of the Board were effectively assumed by PYM's newer Japan Committee.
2 Linear Feet
This collection is stored at the Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Foreign Missionary Association of Friends of Philadelphia
- Germantown Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Haverford Monthly Meeting of Friends (1904-)
- Japan Friends Service Committee
- Japan Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends)
- Moorestown Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (1951- )
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. International Outreach Committee (1974-)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Japan Committee
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Mission Board
- Sharpless, Edith Forsythe
- Society of Friends -- Delaware
- Society of Friends -- Maryland
- Society of Friends -- Missions
- Society of Friends -- New Jersey
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania
- Women’s Foreign Missionary Association of Friends of Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Orthodox) Records: Mission Board (1923-1956)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends: 1676- : Delaware County, Pa.).
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library