Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Records: Religious Education Committees
Scope and Contents
Records of the PYM Religious Education Committee (REC) include the committee's Minutes (1923-1983), Section Minutes (1905-1970), the minutes of its Advisory Committee (1956-1959), Executive Committee (1922-1993), Representative Meeting (1986-1989), and Committee on Worship and Ministry (1984-1987), its Correspondence (1943-1956), Conference Papers (1948-1988), Financial Records (1863-1971) and Publications (1975-2000), among other resource materials and miscellaneous papers. The REC circulates a newsletter which chronicles the actions and interests of the group.
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. First Day School Association (Organization)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
Copyright and Rights Information
Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.
Biographical / Historical
Briefly, the responsibilities of this group include/have included the oversight of Conferences of Friends, Yearly Meetings of Younger Friends and First Day Schools in PYM Monthly Meeting branches, and providing reference and educational materials for all of the above.
The Religious Education Committee of PYM began as a subcommittee of the pre-existing First Day School Committee. It is unclear at which point this relationship changed, but for this reason the records of the Friends School Committee is mixed between this collection and that of the First Day School Association.
14 Linear Feet
This collection is stored at the Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. First Day School Association
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Religious Education Committee
- Religious education -- Pennsylvania
- Society of Friends -- Delaware
- Society of Friends -- Education -- Pennsylvania
- Society of Friends -- Maryland
- Society of Friends -- New Jersey
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania
- Young Friends Movement (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Records: Religious Education Committees
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends: 1676- : Delaware County, Pa.).
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library