Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Some memorandum of the proceedings of the Select Preparative and Monthly Meeting of Jericho, in the case of Anne Willis, Thomas Willis, and Phebe Willis,
Collection — othertype: SC-219
This volume contains two copies in the same hand of the account of the charge against Anne, Thomas, and Phebe Willis before Jericho Preparative and Monthly Meetings and their defense of their views; the first version includes a copy of the essay written and signed in their defense, and the second version omits the essay but includes more detail about Elias Hicks' remarks.
Dates: circa 1828
Thomas Willis writings relating to the Separation and Quaker testimonies
Collection — othertype: SC-220
Abstract These writings, apparently a draft in answer to Evan Lewis's defense of Hicks, elucidate Willis's beliefs and his account of the Separation, including his being part of the committee that presented the complaint against Hicks which culminated in the disownment of Hicks in 1829 by the Orthodox faction. Willis defends the importance of the Bible, the divinity of Jesus, and the authority of the Church. Includes a draft of a letter to Josiah Forster (1848) in which Willis refers to the Wilburite...
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines 1
- Society of Friends -- New York (State) -- Nassau County 1
- Society of Friends -- Schisms and separations 1
- Society of Friends -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- Jericho Preparative Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Nassau County, N.Y.) 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Orthodox : 1828-1955) 1