Showing Collections: 1 - 1 of 1
Abstract These writings, apparently a draft in answer to Evan Lewis's defense of Hicks, elucidate Willis's beliefs and his account of the Separation, including his being part of the committee that presented the complaint against Hicks which culminated in the disownment of Hicks in 1829 by the Orthodox faction. Willis defends the importance of the Bible, the divinity of Jesus, and the authority of the Church. Includes a draft of a letter to Josiah Forster (1848) in which Willis refers to the Wilburite...
- Library: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College X
- Subject: Church controversies -- Society of Friends X
- Subject: Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation X
- Names: New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Orthodox : 1828-1955) X
- Names: New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends X