Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3

Friends Instruction Association records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-028
Overview Contains the records of the Friends Instruction Association including minutes and financial records, receipts from stores, and published bylaws. Friends Instruction Association was organized in 1873 by Philadelphia Quaker women as A Mothers Meeting. Originally part of the Penn Sewing School, the group incorporated in 1876 as Friends Instruction Association. Philadelphia Monthly Meeting provided a meeting space in the Race Street meeting house. Its purpose was...
Dates: 1843-1894

Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-044
Overview The Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, an Orthodox Quaker charity which provided shelter and education for black children, was organized in 1854 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Home was incorporated in 1860. By the end of the 19th century, the organization's primary function was providing financial support for other educational and shelter programs for black youths, including The Shelter (Association for the Care of Colored Orphans). This bound volume contains the...
Dates: 1859-1907

Penn Sewing School records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-056
Overview

Penn Sewing School was founded in 1868 as the Friends Sewing School. The name was changed in 1871 and classes suspended in 1899. The collection contains minute books (1876-1906), charter, history, printed report, and other papers.

Dates: 1868 - 1906