Showing Collections: 1 - 1 of 1
Overview The collection contains primarily family correspondence of the three Pemberton brothers -- Israel, James, and John, prominent members of the Society of Friends in Philadelphia who were exiled to Virginia during the Revolutionary War for their pacifism. It also includes a small number of correspondence from Edward Stabler and Alexander White, an account on the life of James Pemberton, and the will of his wife, Phebe Lewis Pemberton. Topics include the Pembertons' exile to Winchester, Va., with...
- Library: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College X
- Subject: Quakers -- Social life and customs X
- Subject: Society of Friends -- United States X
- Subject: Philadelphia (Pa.) -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Conscientious objectors X
- Names: Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library X