Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Journal entries describe Quaker Meetings in detail, including the names of each person who spoke at meeting, what their message was, and how Kite felt about each particular message. In addition to detailed descriptions of Meetings, Kite's entries also include his own personal spiritual and religious reflections.
The commonplace book of Mary Kite includes extracts from her diary, correspondence, and an account of a religious visit to North Carolina. Diary entries concern family news, as well as Kite's attendance at Quaker meetings and social events.
This collection is comprised of the papers of Isaac Proctor. The majority of the collection is composed of the personal correspondence of Proctor from the end of the 18th century, but also includes a single, small diary, and a single folder of his financial records.
Primarily the letters of the Quaker Scattergood family detailing daily life in the Philadelphia area and touching on issues of dress. There is a also a letter of Joseph Scattergood from Tunesassa, New York, telling of his work with Cornplanter's Native Americans. As well, there is a diary kept by Ann Sellers from 1853 to 1856 and a cookbook, circa 1800.
Joseph Scattergood, an Elder of Green St. Monthly Meeting, was a signer of the first letter of concern by the Elders of Philadelphia to Elias Hicks regarding the doctrine he was preaching (1822). Diary entries describe Quaker meetings, social calls and family news, visits to family and friends in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community, and Scattergood's work as a school teacher.
Thomas Wistar's journal entries largely describe his work as an Indian Commissioner, including visits to Washington D.C., the Seneca Nation, the Wichita Indian Agency, and other Native American Reservations. In addition to his work as a commissioner, entries detail social calls with family and friends, descriptions of Quaker meetings, and religious reflection and prayers.
- Quakers -- Diaries 4
- correspondence 2
- Courtship -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Indians of North America 1
- Indians of North America -- Government relations 1
- Indians of North America -- Missions 1
- Kickapoo Indians -- History 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Osage Indians -- History 1
- Quaker women 1
- Quakers 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs 1
- Quakers -- Travel 1
- Religion 1
- Seneca Indians 1
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 1
- Yellow fever 1
- Yellow fever -- History 1
- commonplace books 1
- cookbooks 1
- financial records 1
- letters (correspondence) 1 ∧ less
- Scattergood, Joseph 2
- Bettle, Samuel 1
- Cornplanter, Seneca chief 1
- Drinker, Henry, 1734-1809 1
- Kite, John L. (John Letchworth), 1798-1878 1