Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Associated Executive Committee of Friends on Indian Affairs
Overview Records deal with the work of Friends in running mission stations in Oklahoma to the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma (Bah Kho-je), the Modoc Nation, the Kickapoo Tribe of Oklahoma, the Otoe-Missouria Tribe of Indians, the Shawnee Tribe, the Osage Nation (Wahzhazhe) and other Native American peoples. Letters from superintendents and missionaries in the field describe the difficulties and experiences of Friends in their work. Topics discussed include attempts to Christianize Native Americans, improve...
Achilles Pugh journal
Journal entries describe Pugh's travel from St. Louis, Missouri, to Lawrence, Kansas, Quaker meetings attended, meetings with "Indian agents" and officials, and visits to tribes and make payments.
John Richards letterbooks
Overview Each volume of John Richards's letterbooks contains business correspondence related to his work as an Indian Agent in Kansas. All letters are written by John Richards, and the majority of letters are addressed to Enoch Hoag, the Superintendent of Indian Affairs. In addition to Enoch Hoag, correspondence in Richards's letterbooks is addressed to the following: Dunlap & Flora, Russell Shlickler, James Haworth, F. Buckley, Robert Ferris, George P. Laflin, Henry Breiner, General Davidson,...
Thomas Wistar journals
Thomas Wistar's journal entries largely describe his work as an Indian Commissioner, including visits to Washington D.C., the Seneca Nation, the Wichita Indian Agency, and other Native American Reservations. In addition to his work as a commissioner, entries detail social calls with family and friends, descriptions of Quaker meetings, and religious reflection and prayers.
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 3
- Indians of North America -- Oklahoma 2
- Quakers -- Diaries 2
- Quakers -- History 2
- Seneca Indians 2
- Shawnee Indians -- History 2
- diaries 2
- Cherokee Indians 1
- Courtship -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Indians of North America -- Missions 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Modoc Indians -- History 1
- Oto Indians -- History 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 1
- correspondence 1
- travel literature 1 ∧ less
- Wistar, Thomas 2
- Cornplanter, Seneca chief 1
- Kelsey, Rayner Wickersham 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955). Indian Committee (1827-1948) 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library 1