Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Lydia Barton Cooke was a Philadelphia Quaker who joined the Hicksites in 1828. Diary entries include prayers, poems, descriptions of domestic duties, social calls from family and friends, Quaker meetings, and discussions of the health of her husband and children. Cooke's diaries also feature religious reflections, potentially concerning the separation between Orthodox and Hicksite.
Amy Fenimore was a Quaker from Philadelphia. Her diary entries largely focus on prayers and religious reflection, and many describe Quaker meetings, and births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community. Entries during the years 1832-1833 discuss the Hicksite-Orthodox Quaker separation.
Anne Moore was a Quaker minister from 1738 to 1783. Journal entries detail her travels as a Quaker minister to Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, parts of New England, and England. Entries also provide descriptions of Quaker meetings, visits from Friends, and Moore’s reflections on religion and advice for her children.
Katherine T. Paxson was a Quaker author and poet. Journal entries describe Quaker meetings, prayers and religious reflection, attendance at writing conferences and workshops, as well as visits with family and friends, and daily housework.
Ann Cooper Whitall's diary entries focus on descriptions of Quaker meetings, illnesses within her family and community, reflections on religion and the perceived failure of Whitall’s community to live up to its ideals, and discussions concerning effective child-rearing practices.
- Quaker women -- United States 3
- Quakers -- History 2
- American poetry 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century 1
- Child rearing -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Quaker women 1
- Quaker women -- History -- 20th century 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs 1
- Society of Friends -- Clergy -- Diaries 1
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 1
- Women -- Religious life 1
- Women and religion 1
- Women clergy -- United States -- Diaries 1
- Women in medicine 1 ∧ less
- Cooke, Lydia Barton 1
- Fenimore, Amy 1
- Moore, Anne, active 1756-1786 1
- Paxson, Katherine Thompson 1
- Whitall, Ann Cooper 1