Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 13
The manuscript of Gergory Barnes's "Philadelphia's Arch Street Meeting House: A Biography" provides a history of Philadelphia's Arch Street Meeting House from the purchase of the land by William Penn in 1683, to the present, including important Quaker individuals, the influence of Philadelphia's history on the Meeting House, the Orthodox-Hicksite separation, and the Wilburite-Gurneyites.
This collection contains one minute book from the Bristol Friends' School for Girls and Boys, in Bristol, Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
This poem, written by Joseph Fisher to Carmel Friends, is related to the religious tensions among Quakers during the Hicksite-Orthodox separation. It is addressed to a meeting in Carmel, to which Joseph Fisher used to belong. The original poem was written in 1832, and this copy was made by Lydia Morlan in 1833.
Susan Foulke was an Orthodox Quaker and a member of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. Entries detail Susan’s daily life and include prayers, religious reflection, descriptions of visits to friends and family in Philadelphia and Burlington, New Jersey, and births, deaths, and marriages within her family and the Quaker community.
John M. Grisom was a physician who lived and practiced in Moorestown, Burlington, New Jersey. His diary focuses on his attendance at "Friendly Study Group" meetings, a group, according to Griscom, that gathers for "the study of the influences and causes leading to the separation of 1827." Entries describe discussions had at these meetings.
William Hodgson Jr. was a Quaker minister. His diary entries describe the voyage from Liverpool, England, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, including descriptions of the weather, books Hodgson read while on board, and the Captain and other passengers. Later entries related to Hodgson's time in Philadelphia describe the terrain, his attendance at the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and other Quaker Meetings, visits to schools in Philadelphia, and discussions of the Hicksite separation.
The biographical account of Thomas Kite describes Kite's early life, his convincement (conversion to Quakerism), and his testimonies against Elias Hicks during the Hicksite-Orthodox separation.
The letterbook of Mary Ann Lloyd includes correspondence between Daniel Wheeler and his daughter Jane Wheeler, as well as a copy of a letter from Daniel Wheeler to Elias Yarnall, dated 1840.
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 12
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 1
- Quakers -- History 12
- Quakers 8
- manuscripts (documents) 5
- Quakers -- Diaries 4
- diaries 4
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 2
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs 2
- biographies (documents) 2
- correspondence 2
- Academic writing 1
- Indians of North America 1
- Poetry 1
- Quaker women 1
- Quakers -- Education 1
- Quakers -- History -- 19th century 1
- Quakers -- New Jersey 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers -- Travel 1
- Society of Friends -- Barbados 1
- Society of Friends -- Education 1
- Society of Friends -- History -- 19th century 1
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources 1
- Witnesses 1
- Women and religion 1
- travel literature 1 ∧ less
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 5
- Allinson, Elizabeth 1
- Barnes, Gregory Allen, Sir 1
- Bettle, Samuel 1
- Bristol Friends' School 1
- Cadbury, Henry J. (Henry Joel), 1883-1974 1
- Cresson, Sarah 1
- Dillwyn, William, 1743-1824 1
- Evans, Thomas, 1798-1868 1
- Fisher, Hannah Logan 1
- Fisher, Joseph 1
- Foulke, Susan 1
- Griscom, John Mietou 1
- Hodgson, William 1
- Hoskins, John 1
- Hoskins, Lydia 1
- Jones, Ann, 1774-1846 1
- Jones, George 1
- Kite, Thomas, 1785-1845 1
- Lloyd, Mary Ann 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955). Indian Committee (1827-1948) 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library 1
- Rahway and Plainfield Monthly Meeting, Religious Society of Friends (1828- : Plainfield, N.J.) 1
- Scattergood, Joseph 1
- Wahl, Albert John, 1909-1996 1
- Waln, Nicholas, 1742-1813 1
- Wheeler, Daniel, 1771-1840 1 ∧ less