Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract This collection includes Isaac T. Hopper's original and photocopied letters and his letterbook. Much of the material concerns his bookselling business and the Hicksite separation. He relates news of figures central to the controversy, including Elisha Bates, Elias Hicks, and Anna Braithwaite. Also included is Hopper's copy of the book, The History of the Life of Thomas Elwood.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1833-1902 [ 1833-1845]
Abstract This collection includes the letters of John Lockwood, received primarily from Aaron Leggett in 1827-28. Leggett, a Hicksite, relates business, news, and personal opinions concerning the Hicksite controversy in New York Yearly Meeting. His letters contain heated attacks on Orthodox Quakers, including Samuel Parsons, the Clerk of New York Monthly Meeting, Richard Mott, and Anna Braithwaite. He also gives news of Elias Hicks and of the progress of the Indiana Epistle.
Abstract This collection includes the correspondence of David Seaman, primarily relating to the Hicksite controversy. Correspondents include Edward Hicks, Samuel Mott, Halliday Jackson, and John Comly.
Abstract These writings, apparently a draft in answer to Evan Lewis's defense of Hicks, elucidate Willis's beliefs and his account of the Separation, including his being part of the committee that presented the complaint against Hicks which culminated in the disownment of Hicks in 1829 by the Orthodox faction. Willis defends the importance of the Bible, the divinity of Jesus, and the authority of the Church. Includes a draft of a letter to Josiah Forster (1848) in which Willis refers to the Wilburite...
- Quakers -- New York (State) 3
- Bookstores -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends 1
- Hicksites 1
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines 1
- Society of Friends -- Indiana -- Epistles 1
- Society of Friends -- Schisms and separations 1
- Society of Friends -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1 ∧ less
- Braithwaite, Anna, 1788-1859 2
- Bates, Elisha, 1781-1861 1
- Comly, John, 1773-1850 1
- Hicks, Edward, 1780-1849 1
- Hopper, Isaac T. (Isaac Tatem), 1771-1852 1
- Jackson, Halliday, 1771-1835 1
- Leggett, Aaron, 1792-1860 1
- Lockwood, John, 1793?-1859 1
- Mott, Richard, 1767-1856 1
- Mott, Samuel, b. 1766 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Orthodox : 1828-1955) 1
- Parsons, Samuel, 1774-1841 1
- Seaman, David, 1791-1844 1
- Willis, Thomas, 1770 or 1771-1864 1 ∧ less