Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Abstract This collection includes the letters of John Lockwood, received primarily from Aaron Leggett in 1827-28. Leggett, a Hicksite, relates business, news, and personal opinions concerning the Hicksite controversy in New York Yearly Meeting. His letters contain heated attacks on Orthodox Quakers, including Samuel Parsons, the Clerk of New York Monthly Meeting, Richard Mott, and Anna Braithwaite. He also gives news of Elias Hicks and of the progress of the Indiana Epistle.
Abstract The collection contains correspondence received by Samuel Parsons of New York Monthly Meeting. Correspondents include William and Hannah Jackson, ministers of New Garden Monthly Meeting, Pa.; London Friends writing to James Mott, Parsons, and Richard R. Lawrence in response to their report of Friends' activities with native Americans; Samuel Bettle of Philadelphia concerning the Separation, offering advice for New York Yearly Meeting; Daniel Comstock describing the program of study at the...
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 1
- Bettle, Samuel, 1774-1861 1
- Braithwaite, Anna, 1788-1859 1
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 1
- Leggett, Aaron, 1792-1860 1
- Lockwood, John, 1793?-1859 1