Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 17
Entries describe Bacon’s daily life, including descriptions of the weather, Quaker meetings he attended, business transactions, social calls with friends and family, and the births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community.
Howard Comfort was a Quaker merchant in Philadelphia, and often traveled between Philadelphia and various cities in Great Britain on business. Each volume is a small “pocket diary,” and entries include lists of assignments and readings for class, notes, and quoted excerpts from materials Comfort had read, as well as descriptions of social calls and Quaker meetings.
Diary entries describe social calls, the health of family and friends, the weather, Quaker meetings, and births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community.
Susan Foulke was an Orthodox Quaker and a member of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. Entries detail Susan’s daily life and include prayers, religious reflection, descriptions of visits to friends and family in Philadelphia and Burlington, New Jersey, and births, deaths, and marriages within her family and the Quaker community.
Journal entries describe Quaker Meetings in detail, including the names of each person who spoke at meeting, what their message was, and how Kite felt about each particular message. In addition to detailed descriptions of Meetings, Kite's entries also include his own personal spiritual and religious reflections.
The commonplace book of Mary Kite includes extracts from her diary, correspondence, and an account of a religious visit to North Carolina. Diary entries concern family news, as well as Kite's attendance at Quaker meetings and social events.
Mordecai Matlack was a Quaker farmer in the vicinity of Byberry Township, just outside of Philadelphia. The majority of his diary entries describe Quaker meetings, social calls, and daily farm work.
This collection is comprised of the papers of Isaac Proctor. The majority of the collection is composed of the personal correspondence of Proctor from the end of the 18th century, but also includes a single, small diary, and a single folder of his financial records.
Primarily the letters of the Quaker Scattergood family detailing daily life in the Philadelphia area and touching on issues of dress. There is a also a letter of Joseph Scattergood from Tunesassa, New York, telling of his work with Cornplanter's Native Americans. As well, there is a diary kept by Ann Sellers from 1853 to 1856 and a cookbook, circa 1800.
Joseph Scattergood, an Elder of Green St. Monthly Meeting, was a signer of the first letter of concern by the Elders of Philadelphia to Elias Hicks regarding the doctrine he was preaching (1822). Diary entries describe Quaker meetings, social calls and family news, visits to family and friends in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community, and Scattergood's work as a school teacher.
- Quakers -- Diaries 14
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs 10
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 6
- Quakers -- Travel 4
- Quaker women 3
- Quaker women -- United States 3
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 3
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 2
- correspondence 2
- travel literature 2
- Agriculture -- Pennsylvania -- History 1
- Courtship -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Europe -- Description and travel 1
- Haverford (Pa.) 1
- Indians of North America 1
- Indians of North America -- Government relations 1
- Indians of North America -- Missions 1
- Kickapoo Indians -- History 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Middle East -- Description and travel 1
- Motherhood -- Great Britain -- History 1
- Motherhood -- United States -- History 1
- Osage Indians -- History 1
- Quakers 1
- Quakers -- Family relationships 1
- Religion 1
- Seneca Indians 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 1
- Women -- Education 1
- Women -- Education -- Pennsylvania 1
- Women -- United States -- Social life and customs 1
- Women and religion 1
- Yellow fever 1
- Yellow fever -- History 1
- commonplace books 1
- cookbooks 1
- financial records 1
- letters (correspondence) 1 ∧ less
- Scattergood, Joseph 2
- Bacon, Francis, 1812-1870 1
- Bettle, Samuel 1
- Comfort, Howard 1
- Cornplanter, Seneca chief 1
- Drinker, Henry, 1734-1809 1
- Evans, Elizabeth Reeve 1
- Evans, Hannah Bacon 1
- Foulke, Susan 1
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 1
- Kite, John L. (John Letchworth), 1798-1878 1
- Kite, Mary, 1793?-1861 1
- Matlack, Mordecai 1
- Proctor, Isaac 1
- Rhoads, Sarah Wistar, 1839-1920 1
- Scattergood family 1
- Seebohm, Benjamin 1
- Sharpless, Henry Hale G. 1
- Shoemaker, John 1
- Waln, Emma 1
- Warder, Ann Head 1
- Wistar, Thomas 1
- Yarnall, Anna C. 1 ∧ less