Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
The manuscript of Gergory Barnes's "Philadelphia's Arch Street Meeting House: A Biography" provides a history of Philadelphia's Arch Street Meeting House from the purchase of the land by William Penn in 1683, to the present, including important Quaker individuals, the influence of Philadelphia's history on the Meeting House, the Orthodox-Hicksite separation, and the Wilburite-Gurneyites.
Susan Foulke was an Orthodox Quaker and a member of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. Entries detail Susan’s daily life and include prayers, religious reflection, descriptions of visits to friends and family in Philadelphia and Burlington, New Jersey, and births, deaths, and marriages within her family and the Quaker community.
The collection contains two detailed draft manuscript reports of the events and proceedings in Rahway and Plainfield Monthly Meeting and the Quarterly Meeting with attention to property and control of the records.
Joseph Scattergood, an Elder of Green St. Monthly Meeting, was a signer of the first letter of concern by the Elders of Philadelphia to Elias Hicks regarding the doctrine he was preaching (1822). Diary entries describe Quaker meetings, social calls and family news, visits to family and friends in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community, and Scattergood's work as a school teacher.
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 3
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 1
- Quakers -- History 3
- Quakers -- Diaries 2
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 2
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs 2
- diaries 2
- Quaker women 1
- Quakers 1
- Quakers -- History -- 19th century 1
- Quakers -- New Jersey 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Society of Friends -- History -- 19th century 1
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources 1
- Women and religion 1
- biographies (documents) 1
- manuscripts (documents) 1 ∧ less
- Barnes, Gregory Allen, Sir 1
- Foulke, Susan 1
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 1
- Rahway and Plainfield Monthly Meeting, Religious Society of Friends (1828- : Plainfield, N.J.) 1
- Scattergood, Joseph 1 ∧ less