Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Overview George M. Justice was a successful Philadelphia merchant and important Hicksite Quaker. Beginning in 1825 until shortly before his death, he kept volumes of memorandum reflecting his thoughts on religion, the Hicksite Separation and its aftermath in Philadelphia, family information, astronomy, slavery, and other topics.
Overview Wilmer W. Marshall (1847-1905) was a Philadelphia Quaker businessman. He was the son of Caleb and Jane Marshall and a member of Philadelphia Monthly Meeting (Hicksite). In 1876, he married out of meeting to Julia Jacoby. The collection includes diaries and a small amount of correspondence and miscellaneous material. The diaries cover the years 1859-1878 and relate daily life, including his attendance at meeting, family concerns, and participation in political meetings during the Civil War.
- Astronomical observatories 1
- Diaries 1
- Justice family 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Quakers -- Slavery -- Anti-slavery movements 1
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 1
- Schools -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines 1
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 1
- Society of Friends -- History 1
- diaries 1 ∧ less
- Justice, George M. (George Middleton), 1792-1862 1
- Marshall, Wilmer W., 1847-1905 1