Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 28
"Biographical Sketch of Joshua Longstreth Baily"
The biography of Joshua Longstreth Baily, written by Alfred Baily, includes a brief history of the Baily family, and is largely comprised of extracts of Joshua Baily's letters.
"Philadelphia's Arch Street Meeting House: A Biography"
The manuscript of Gergory Barnes's "Philadelphia's Arch Street Meeting House: A Biography" provides a history of Philadelphia's Arch Street Meeting House from the purchase of the land by William Penn in 1683, to the present, including important Quaker individuals, the influence of Philadelphia's history on the Meeting House, the Orthodox-Hicksite separation, and the Wilburite-Gurneyites.
"Philadelphia Quaker Philanthropists: Ann and George Williams"
Joseph C. Carter's manuscript, entitled "Philadelphia Quaker Philanthropists: Ann and George Williams," provides a brief biography of, and genealogical information for, Ann Trimble Williams and George Williams, and their involvement in early Philadelphia philanthropic societies, including the Magdalen Society.
"Just Among Friends: The Quaker Way of Life"
William Wistar Comfort's draft manuscripts of his book, "Just Among Friends: The Quaker Way of Life" describe the Quaker way of life, and the influence Quakers have had on issues of tolerance, peace, and economic and social justice. The manuscript includes Wistar's notes and edits, and the collection includes promotional materials related to the book's publication.
"John Comly and Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, 1827-1828"
This collection is comprised of the single typed volume entitled
"John Comly and Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, 1827-1828." The manuscript was copied from the original by one of Comly's grandsons. The original manuscript was written for "Rupp's History of the Religious Denominations of the United States" in Byberry Friends' Library.
Earnest Workers records
This collection is comprised of the minutes and annual reports for the Earnest Workers of Philadelphia.
Friends' Institute scrapbook
The scrapbook of the Friends' Institute includes materials related to the Friends' Institute for Young Men, particularly for the lectures and events of the organization. Lectures focus on a variety of topics, including business ethics, party politics, early friends and their services in America, the idolatry of culture, and Siberian convicts. Also included are the annual reports of the board of managers.
John S. Haines financial records
The personal account books of John S. Haines record Haines's expenses, payments to various individuals and businesses, and his account balances at the end of each year.
Walter G. Heacock scrapbook
Walter G. Heacock's scrapbook is largely comprised of postcards of Quaker meeting houses collected by Heacock, along with typed descriptions of the meeting house featured in each postcard. The majority of the postcards are from Pennsylvania and New Jersey, though there are a few from other states and Canada. The volume also includes newspaper clippings related to Quakers and Quaker history.
Richard Hockley letterbook
This collection is comprised of the single letterbook of Richard Hockley and contains business correspondence. The majority of letters in the volume are written by Richard Hockley on his travels for the business interests of Thomas Hyam, a London merchant. Letters are written from a variety of locations, including Barbados, Charleston, South Carolina, and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Quakers 22
- correspondence 7
- diaries 6
- financial records 6
- manuscripts (documents) 6
- Quakers -- Diaries 4
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources 3
- account books 3
- letters (correspondence) 3
- Humanitarianism 2
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- History 2
- Quaker women 2
- Quakers -- Family relationships 2
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs 2
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 2
- biographies (documents) 2
- clippings (information artifacts) 2
- genealogies (histories) 2
- minutes (administrative records) 2
- photographs 2
- scrapbooks 2
- Courtship -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Estates (Law) 1
- Indians of North America 1
- Indians of North America -- Government relations 1
- Indians of North America -- Missions 1
- Kickapoo Indians -- History 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Osage Indians -- History 1
- Pennsylvania 1
- Pennsylvania -- History 1
- Quaker businesspeople 1
- Quaker philanthropists 1
- Quakers -- Kansas 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers -- Travel 1
- Religion 1
- Seneca Indians 1
- Society of Friends -- Barbados 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 1
- Society of Friends -- South Carolina -- Charleston 1
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 1
- Yellow fever 1
- Yellow fever -- History 1
- autobiographies (documents) 1
- commonplace books 1
- cookbooks 1
- deeds 1
- maps (documents) 1
- notebooks 1
- poems 1
- postcards 1 ∧ less
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library 2
- Scattergood, Joseph 2
- Bacon family 1
- Baily, Alfred 1
- Baily, Joshua L. (Joshua Longstreth), 1826-1916 1
- Balderston, Mark 1
- Barnes, Gregory Allen, Sir 1
- Bettle, Samuel 1
- Carter, Joseph C. 1
- Comfort, William Wistar 1
- Comly, John, 1773-1850 1
- Cornplanter, Seneca chief 1
- Drinker, Henry, 1734-1809 1
- Earnest Workers of Philadelphia 1
- Elkinton family 1
- Haines, John S. 1
- Heacock, Walter G. 1
- Hockley, Richard 1
- Kite, John L. (John Letchworth), 1798-1878 1
- Kite, Mary, 1793?-1861 1
- Matlack family 1
- Mendenhall, Joseph 1
- Newlin, Rachel H. 1
- North House 1
- Pemberton, Henry 1
- Pemberton, James, 1723-1809 1
- Perot, Sansom 1
- Proctor, Isaac 1
- Proud, Robert, 1728-1813 1
- Provident Society for the Employment of the Poor 1
- Scattergood family 1
- Seebohm, Benjamin 1
- Smith, Joseph 1
- Taylor, George Washington 1
- Thomas family 1
- Walter, Hannah Ann 1
- Wistar, Thomas 1 ∧ less