Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5

Friends Central School Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-022
Overview Friends' Central School was founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as a Quaker secondary school by a Joint Committee of three Hicksite monthly meetings (Society of Friends). It was first located at 4th and Cherry Sts. In 1857, it was moved to 15th and Race Sts., and in 1925, it was moved to its present location in Overbrook, Pa. The current academic program includes grades K-12. The collection contains minutes of the Friends' Central School and Friends' Central School System and related...
Dates: 1844-1951

Friends Instruction Association records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-028
Overview Contains the records of the Friends Instruction Association including minutes and financial records, receipts from stores, and published bylaws. Friends Instruction Association was organized in 1873 by Philadelphia Quaker women as A Mothers Meeting. Originally part of the Penn Sewing School, the group incorporated in 1876 as Friends Instruction Association. Philadelphia Monthly Meeting provided a meeting space in the Race Street meeting house. Its purpose was...
Dates: 1843-1894

Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-044
Overview The Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, an Orthodox Quaker charity which provided shelter and education for black children, was organized in 1854 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Home was incorporated in 1860. By the end of the 19th century, the organization's primary function was providing financial support for other educational and shelter programs for black youths, including The Shelter (Association for the Care of Colored Orphans). This bound volume contains the...
Dates: 1859-1907

George M. Justice Memorandums, 1825-1861

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG5-298
Overview

George M. Justice was a successful Philadelphia merchant and important Hicksite Quaker. Beginning in 1825 until shortly before his death, he kept volumes of memorandum reflecting his thoughts on religion, the Hicksite Separation and its aftermath in Philadelphia, family information, astronomy, slavery, and other topics.

Dates: 1825-1861

Penn Sewing School records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-056
Overview

Penn Sewing School was founded in 1868 as the Friends Sewing School. The name was changed in 1871 and classes suspended in 1899. The collection contains minute books (1876-1906), charter, history, printed report, and other papers.

Dates: 1868 - 1906

Filtered By

  • Subject: Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia X
  • Subject: Schools -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia X

Filter Results

Additional filters:

Subject
Charities -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 3
Nonprofit organizations -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 3
Schools -- Pennsylvania 3
Society of Friends -- Charities -- Records and correspondence 3
Education -- Pennsylvania 2
∨ more  
Names
Friends Instruction Association (Philadelphia, Pa.) 2
Penn Sewing School (Philadelphia, Pa.) 2
Association for the Care of Coloured Orphans (Cheyney, Pa.) 1
Friends Sewing School (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Friends' Central School 1