Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview Journal entries describe Pugh's travel from St. Louis, Missouri, to Lawrence, Kansas, Quaker meetings attended, meetings with "Indian agents" and officials, and visits to tribes and make payments.
Overview Entries describe Sharpless's travel to, and time spent in, Cornplanter's village during 1798.
Dates: 1798, 1965
Overview Henry Simmons was a Quaker missionary to the Seneca Nation and a member Middletown Monthly Meeting. Henry Simmons's journals are related to time Simmons spent with the Oneida and Seneca tribes.
Overview Joel Swayne's diary entries describe his journey to the Seneca nation and the two years he spent there. Swayne provides detailed descriptions of the chief, “Cornplanter,” the chief’s family, the village and villagers, cultural differences between the Quakers and the Senecas, the difficulty of the language barrier, and discussions between Quaker missionaries and Seneca members.
Overview Joseph Walton's diary entries focus on his various religious visits in the United States, and include details about his travel, attendance at meetings, descriptions of the communities he visited, discussions concerning the status of free African Americans, and issues surrounding voting, as well as descriptions of his time among Seneca and Onondaga reservations in New York.
Overview Thomas Wistar's journal entries largely describe his work as an Indian Commissioner, including visits to Washington D.C. and various trips to Native American Reservations and Indian Agencies, including the Seneca Nation and the Wichita Indian Agency. In addition to his work as a commissioner, entries detail social calls with family and friends, descriptions of Quaker meetings, and religious reflection and prayers.
- Quakers -- History 5
- travel literature 4
- Quakers -- Travel 3
- Indians of North America 2
- Indians of North America -- Government relations 2
- Indians of North America -- Missions 2
- Kickapoo Indians -- History 2
- Osage Indians -- History 2
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 2
- African Americans 1
- Cherokee Indians 1
- Courtship -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Indians of North America -- Oklahoma 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Quaker missionaries 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 1
- Shawnee Indians -- History 1
- Six Nations -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- Missions 1 ∧ less
- Cornplanter, Seneca chief 3
- Simmons, Henry 3
- Sharpless, Joshua 2
- Jackson, Halliday, 1771-1835 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955). Indian Committee (1827-1948) 1