Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Nicholas Hallock papers
Collection — othertype: SC-228
Abstract The collections contains a draft or copy of a letter dated 6 mo. 1846 from Nicholas Hallock to Elizabeth Paxson which explains his religious beliefs; an 1848 letter from Henry Titus and others, Jerusalem, Long Island, NY, expressing their thanks for Hallock's religious visit; a copy of a letter dated 1835 from George Hull to Hallock, dispirited by the divisions among Friends; a record of the births of the family of Edward Hallock, younger brother of Nicholas; and a copy of the minute adopted...
Thomas Willis writings relating to the Separation and Quaker testimonies
Collection — othertype: SC-220
Abstract These writings, apparently a draft in answer to Evan Lewis's defense of Hicks, elucidate Willis's beliefs and his account of the Separation, including his being part of the committee that presented the complaint against Hicks which culminated in the disownment of Hicks in 1829 by the Orthodox faction. Willis defends the importance of the Bible, the divinity of Jesus, and the authority of the Church. Includes a draft of a letter to Josiah Forster (1848) in which Willis refers to the Wilburite...
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 1
- Society of Friends -- United States -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- Hallock family 1
- Hallock, Nicholas, 1785-1853 1
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 1
- Marlborough Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Hicksite: 1828-1847 : Milton, N.Y.) 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 1