Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Jacob R. Elfreth Sr. was a teacher and a bookkeeper for the Leigh Navigation Company. The majority of entries detail family news, Quaker meetings, Elfreth's work with the Leigh Navigation Company, and births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community,
This collection is comprised of the papers of the Bunting and Haines families, and includes clippings, correspondence, financial records, legal documents, and marriage certificates of the family. While the majority of materials focus on Samuel Bunting Haines, other members of the family are represented among the materials as well.
This collection contains the correspondence of Samuel B. Haines. The letters were written primarily from army camps in Virginia and Maryland during the Civil War, mostly to Haines's mother, Deborah Bunting Haines.
This collection contains Janney family papers, and includes family correspondence, newspaper clippings, financial records, legal papers, maps, and photographs.
The autobiography of Augustine Jones describes Jones's early life in Maine, the death of his father, his early experiences growing up as a Quaker, his time spent in his uncle's house, political upheaval leading to Civil War, the free labor movement, Jones's work as a teacher at a Friends School in Maine, and a description of his experiences during the Civil War era.
Diary of Edward Smedley, written while at the conscript barracks in Philadelphia after being drafted for the American Civil War. Entries describe Smedley's experiences as a drafted soldier and non-combatant prisoner in Philadelphia, including religious reflection, visits from family members, and military preparations.
"Education of the Freedmen By Philadelphia and Baltimore Quakers During the Civil War and Reconstruction Period"
- Quakers 5
- correspondence 3
- manuscripts (documents) 3
- Quakers -- Diaries 2
- Quakers -- Family relationships 2
- diaries 2
- financial records 2
- Academic writing 1
- Nonviolence 1
- Quakers -- Education 1
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources 1
- Society of Friends -- War relief and reconstruction 1
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 1
- Virginia 1
- autobiographies (documents) 1
- clippings (information artifacts) 1
- letters (correspondence) 1
- maps (documents) 1
- marriage certificates 1
- photographs 1 ∧ less
- Haines, Samuel Bunting, 1840-1863 2
- Anscombe, Francis Charles 1
- Baltimore Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 1
- Elfreth, Jacob R., Sr., 1789-1870 1
- Haines, Deborah Bunting 1