Skip to main content

Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-020

Scope and Contents

This collection contains the records of the Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting and of Friends' Village, both located in Newtown, PA. The collection includes correspondence, minute books, constitution and legal papers, reports, and other papers.

Dates

  • 1896-2013

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

The collection is open for research.

Copyright and Rights Information

Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.

Biographical / Historical

Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the aged in Newtown. Pennsylvania, was opened in 1897 and incorporated in 1899. In 1900 it moved to a new building erected on Congress Street, with funds given by Edward M. Paxson in memory of his parents.

In 1896 Bucks Quarterly Meeting appointed a committee to determine the need for a Home for Friends within the Bucks Quarter. In 1897 the Committee rented the property of Dr. Lettie A. Smith in Newtown, Pa., for a Friends Boarding Home. The Home was incorporated in 1899, and a building erected on a lot purchased from Emmor K. Janney, located between Congress Street and Centre Avenue in Newtown, Pa., with funds given by Judge Edward M. Paxson in memory of his parents. The Home was completed and transferred to the Bucks Quarterly Meeting in 1900.

In 1979, after the donation of the Styer property in 1978, construction was started on what was initially called the Annex; the renamed 44 unit Friends' Village was opened for occupancy in 1981.

Extent

2.3 Linear Feet (2 boxes and 9 volumes)

Language

English

Overview

Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the aged in Newtown. Pennsylvania, was opened in 1897 and incorporated in 1899. In 1900 it moved to a new building erected on Congress Street, with funds given by Edward M. Paxson in memory of his parents. Friends' Village was opened in 1981. The records include correspondence, minute books, constitution and legal papers, reports, and other papers.

Arrangement

The collection is organized into 2 series. The series are:

  1. Minutes
  2. Miscellaneous Papers

For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Physical Location

For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donor: Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting

Date: 1975, 2014

Title
An Inventory of the Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting Records, 1896-2013
Author
FHL staff
Date
2000
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Sponsor
Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA