Partnership for Productivity Records
Scope and Contents
Records, from 1968-1990, include minutes, correspondence, financial records, annual reports, country project reports and articles about the Partnership for Productivity.
Organized into four series:
- Minutes, correspondence and financial records
- Reports and Publications
- Board Committees
- Partnership for Productivity Service Foundation--Kenya (Organization)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research.
Copyright and Rights Information
Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
Partnership for Productivity (PfP) was a Quaker-sponsored program in overseas economic development which advised small business ventures primarily in African countries. It was founded in 1969 by David H. Scull with an initial project established in Western Kenya in 1970. Its two organs, the Partnership for Productivity Foundation/USA, Inc., (a non-profit service agency) and the Partnership for Productivity Investments/USA, Inc., (a limited dividend stock company) were designed to provide capital for loans or investments, combined with on-going management counsel or personal supervision. The goal of the Foundation was "to promote the better sharing of the world’s resources as an expression of a religious concern." Its work was to be accomplished "through assisting and encouraging beneficial and productive industrial and commercial enterprise in the economically less developed countries and through helping to create conditions favorable to such development." Activities included providing business, educational and social services, investing or lending available funds and personal leadership. The purpose of PfP Investments/USA, Inc., company was "to invest in, loan to, or underwrite loans for, beneficial and productive industrial and commercial enterprise in the economically less-developed countries; it may do this directly or by lending to or investing in other organizations established to carry our similar objectives."
In December 1986, the Board resolved to liquidate the corporation after a sudden financial crisis which occurred when liabilities caused the enterprise to collapse. CARE absorbed some of the PfP’s project.
David H. Scull (1914-1983) was a Virginia Quaker businessman. He was active in civil rights and other social concerns and one of the founders of Langley Hill Monthly Meeting in McLean, Virginia. He served as clerk of Baltimore Yearly Meeting, on the Board of Managers of Swarthmore College, and chair of the International Affairs committee of the Friends World Committee for Consultation through its World Resources Committee. He was founder and president of PfP from 1970 to 1979.
A. Keith Smiley, a member of the Quaker family which owned and managed Lake Mohonk Mountain House, was a board member of the Production for Productivity Foundation from 1969 to its end. He was active in Quaker activities and served as member of the Friends World Committee executive committee and its subcommittee Sharing the World’s Resources. Lake Mohonk Mountain House was established in 1869 by Albert and Alfred Smiley near New Palz, N.Y., and was the site of a special conferences (Lake Mohonk Conferences of Friends of the Indian and Lake Mohonk Conferences on International Arbitration) as well as the regular meeting location for Partnership for Productivity.
2.75 Linear Feet (6 boxes)
Contains the records, 1968-1987, of Partnership for Productivity, a Quaker-sponsored program in overseas economic development, created to advise small business ventures primarily in African countries. Founded in 1969 by David H. Scull with an initial project in Western Kenya, it was designed to provide capital for loans or investments combined with management counsel and personal supervision through its two organs, the Partnership for Productivity Foundation/USA, Inc., and the Partnership for Investments/USA, Inc. In December 1986, the Board was forced to liquidate the corporation after a sudden financial crisis created when liabilities caused the enterprise to collapse. Also includes a small amount of miscellaneous papers concerning the donor, A. Keith Smiley, including his statement on My concern for Right-Sharing of the World’s Resource written in 1990.
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donor: A. Keith Smiley, 1988. Accession number: 1994-010
Donor: Robert B. Ransom, Acc. 2018.051
Partnership for Productivity Is People, Slides and cassette tape removed to FHL Audiovisual collection
Polaroid photograph of A. Keith Smiley, probably 1982
Harper, Malcolm. Consultancy for Small Business, 1976, removed to FHL book stacks
The original group of records was given to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection in 1988 in two cartons of unsorted, loose material. The collection was transferred to Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College in 1994, sorted into general series and refoldered in 1994. In 2002, a finding aid prepared. File containing correspondence of David Scull with Theodore Friend, President of Swarthmore College, and miscellaneous articles by David Scull (1973-1980) was transferred to Swarthmore College Archives. Book titled Consultancy for Small Businesses by Malcolm Harper was transferred to Friends Historical Library book collection and catalogued. Slides and cassettes with FHL removed to the FHL audiovisual collection. In 2018, a small collection of records collected by Robert B. Ransom during his employment with PfP 1973-1977 were integrated into the collection.
- Smiley, A. Keith (Albert Keith), 1910-2001 (Person)
- Partnership for Productivity Service Foundation--Kenya (Contributor, Organization)
- Finding aid for Partnership for Productivity Records, 1968-1990
- FHL staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA