Fowler Orphanage Association Records
Scope and Contents
The collection primarily consists of minutes of the Fowler Orphanage Association, 1926-1987. It also includes related correspondence, financial records, and photographs.
- Fowler Orphanage Association (Organization)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Open for research.
Copyright and Rights Information
Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
Fowler Orphanage (later Fowler Home for Girls) in Cairo, Egypt was founded in 1906 with money collected by John and Esther Fowler, both members of the Society of Friends. Esther was a minister, and John had previously opened a children’s home in Athens, Ohio. The Fowler institution housed a fluctuating number of girls - approximately 40 - during the time that the Fowler Orphanage Association was active. For a time, the Home also ran a school for the younger girls, with the young women being sent to secondary schools in the area, and then sometimes to more specialized training in areas such as nursing. Later, it served solely as a home, with all school-aged children being sent to the nearby mission school. The Home was administered by the United Presbyterian Board for Foreign Missions. Jane C. Smith, Miss Barnes, Lucy Lightower, and Elizabeth Wilson served as matron-superintendents. In 1962 the administration of the Home was transferred to the Faggala Evangelical Church (Coptic), and when Elizabeth Wilson retired in 1967, the Church supplied its own staff.
The Fowler Orphanage Association first met the Ninth Month of 1927, with Clarkson S. French as president. Associated with the Ohio Yearly Meeting (Conservative), the Association met yearly until it was laid down in 1987, collecting donations for the Fowler Orphanage (later the Fowler Home for Girls). Many in the original group had personally known the Fowlers, and hence felt moved to continue their legacy. Though the Association did often discuss the efforts of other orphanages, donations went only to the Fowler Orphanage. Communication flowed smoothly until 1967, after which money continued to be sent, but follow up letters were rare and information about the orphanage had to be obtained from the local Presbyterian missionaries to Egypt, Willis and Anne McGill.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 box)
Fowler Orphanage (later Fowler Home for Girls) in Cairo, Egypt was founded in 1906 with money collected by John and Esther Fowler, both members of the Society of Friends. The Fowler Orphanage Association, afiliated with Ohio Yearly Meeting (Conservative), was formed in 1927 to provide support and met yearly until it was laid down in 1987. Collection includes minutes of the Association as well as related correspondence, financial records, and photographs.
Organized in five series:
- Ser.1 Minutes
- Ser.2 Correspondence
- Ser.3 Financial Records
- Ser.4 Miscellaneous
- Ser.5 Photographs
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of William Taber (Accession 2001-021)
- An Inventory of the Fowler Orphanage Association Records
- FHL staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA