Isaac Battin Family Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains the papers of the Battin family, Quakers from Albany, N.Y., Omaha, Neb., and Swarthmore, Pa. Includes chiefly Letter books (8 v.) of Isaac Battin (ca. 1835-1912), containing family and personal letters, but also business correspondence relating to his employment by a gas company in Omaha; together with correspondence of other family members.
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research.
Copyright and Rights Information
Friends Historical Library believes all of the items in this collection to be in the Public Domain in the United States, and is not aware of any restrictions on their use. However, the user is responsible for making a final determination of copyright status before reproducing. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
Isaac Battin (fl. 1835-1912) was a Quaker who lived in area around Albany, New York, and went west in 1860s as an employee of a gas company. After some years in Omaha, Nebraska, he came back east and settled in several communities around Philadelphia, including Swarthmore, Pennsylvania.
2 Linear Feet (4 boxes)
The collection contains the papers of the Battin family, Quakers from Albany, New York, Omaha, Nebraska, and Swarthmore, Pennsylvania Includes Letter books (8 v.) of Isaac Battin (ca. 1835-1912), containing chiefly family and personal letters, but also business correspondence relating to his employment by a gas company in Omaha; together with correspondence of other family members.
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donor: Unknown, before 1967
Previously cited as Battin Family Papers. Stored in Record Group 5
- Albany (N.Y.) -- History -- Sources
- Gas companies -- Nebraska
- Gas companies -- Nebraska
- Gas companies -- Nebraska -- Omaha
- Nebraska -- History -- Sources
- New York (State) -- History -- Sources
- Omaha (Neb.) -- History -- Sources
- Pennsylvania -- History -- Sources
- Quakers -- Nebraska
- Quakers -- New York (State)
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania
- Swarthmore (Pa.) -- History -- Sources
- An Inventory of the Isaac Battin Family Papers, 1865-1912
- FHL staff
- before 1967
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA