Cooper Family Papers
Scope and Contents
The larger part of the collection is composed of genealogical research. There also is some family correspondence, wills and marriage certificates, manuscript and printed materials, memorabilia, and photographs of the ancestors and descendents of William and Sarah Morgan Cooper.
- Cooper family (Family)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research.
Copyright and Rights Information
Friends Historical Library believes all of the items in this collection to be in the Public Domain in the United States, and is not aware of any restrictions on their use. However, the user is responsible for making a final determination of copyright status before reproducing. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
William Cooper, a New Jersey Quaker and Elder of Woodbury Monthly Meeting, married Sarah Morgan in 1806. They had six children and resided at “Greenfield” in Woodbury.
1 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
William Cooper, a New Jersey Quaker and Elder of Woodbury Monthly Meeting, married Sarah Morgan in 1806. They had six children and resided at “Greenfield” in Woodbury. This collection contains family correspondence, wills and marriage certificates, other manuscript and printed materials, memorabilia, and photographs of the ancestors and descendents of William and Sarah Morgan Cooper. Includes historical writings of Howard Mickle Cooper and the genealogical notes compiled by Lucy Smyth Cooper.
The collection is divided into five series:
- Wills and related papers
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donors: Emily Cooper Johnson, 1959, and Elizabeth M. Cooper, 1961-1962
The following materials have been removed from the collection and recatalogued:
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Discipline, 1719. See Disciplines.
- In oversize picture collection, Portraits: Mahlon Betts (1795-1867) of Wilmington, Del.
- In oversize picture collection, Portraits: Mary (Seal) Betts (1795-1891) (Photographed from oil portraits by Benjamin Otis(?)
- Marriage certificates: see marr. certs. in chart case
- Marriage certificate: Kaighin, Joseph to Mickle, Sarah. 4mo 16 1795. See Marriage Certificates in Chart Case.
- Marriage certiificates: Cooper, John to Kaighn, Mary M. 10mo 18 1843. See Marriage Certificates in Chart Case.
Originally processed before 1967 by FHL staff. Rehoused and finding aid revised in 2015.
- An Inventory of the Cooper Family Papers, 1780-1926
- FHL staff
- Before 1967
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA