Anna C. Stabler Family Papers
Scope and Contents
The Amna C. Stabler Papers are a collection of miscellaneous manuscripts relating to Quakers and the Society of Friends in southeastern New York State. Of particular interest are several letters addressed to John Bowne (1627-1695) from England, and a commonplace book, probably of Edward S. Willets, with an obituary for Matthew Franklin (1815), The Speech of Sagoua Fla (1811), Address of the Seneca Indians to Dewitt Clinton (1818), An Indian Oration on the Death of Commodore Decater (sic.) (1820), and Circumstance related by Samuel Parsons (1826). Also included are a commonplace-book, belonging to Deborah M. Field, with an opening passage from Scripture inscribed to her and signed by Elias Hicks (silhouette of Elias Hicks inserted in front of book) as well as an inspirational passage from Jesse Kersey, a School Fund Account Book (kept by Isaac T. Hopper), and a collection of financial papers related to the building of the Pearl Street Meeting House in New York City, 1774-75.
- Stabler, Amna C. (Person)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research.
Copyright and Rights Information
Friends Historical Library believes all of the items in this collection to be in the Public Domain in the United States, and is not aware of any restrictions on their use. However, the user is responsible for making a final determination of copyright status before reproducing. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
Amna C. (Amna Cope) Stabler was the wife of Edward Russell Stabler. His father, Edward L. (Edward Lincoln) Stabler of Greenwich, Connecticut, lent at least part of the collection to New York Yearly Meeting (?) in 1957, according to a note found with the materials. Edward L. Stabler was the son of Louisa M. Field Stabler and the grandson of Mary Hartshorne Stabler.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
The Amna C. Stabler Family Papers are a collection of miscellaneous manuscripts relating to Quakers and the Society of Friends in southeastern New York State.
The collection is divided into five series:
- 1. Bowne family
- 2. Hunt family
- 3. Other family papers
- 4.1 Society of Friends records: Pearl Street Meeting House
- 4.2 Society of Friends records: Financial Records, Epistles, & Extracts
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donor: New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, 1997
The collection was given to the New York Yearly Meeting by Amna C. Stabler on 11/22/1983. It was transferred to the Friends Historical Library in 1997.
The following materials were removed from the collection and added to RG2:
- RG2/NYy New York Yearly Meeting, Meeting for Sufferings, Minutes, 5th Mo. 1758 through 5th Mo. 26, 1775. (Clerk's Draft). (5N 12/2488)
- RG2/NY/N452 v.1.15 New York Monthly Meeting, Minutes, Men's, 9th Mo. 6, 1769-8th Mo. 1, 1771 (Clerk's Draft). (2F 13/2489)
- NYYM Mss. List of the Members of the New York Manumission Society, 1787-1827. MSS2-2495
- RG2/NY/N453 v.2.3 New York Monthly Meeting (H), Minutes, Women's, 6th Mo., 1850—4th Mo. 1, 1857, and 7th Mo., 1858-11th Mo. 2, 1859 (Clerk's Draft) (N 11/2490)
- RG2/NY/N453 v.2.4 New York Monthly Meeting (H), Minutes, Women's, 5th Mo. 6, 1857—4th Mo. 7, 1858 and 5th Mo. 5, 1858 (Clerk's Draft). (N 11/2491)
- Bowne House Historical Society. John Bowne, his story: from the time he left England for America in 1649 until he returned from exile in Holland in 1664. New York: The Society, 1963
- Quaker crosscurrents: three hundred years of Friends in the New York Yearly Meetings / edited by Hugh Barbour... [et al.]; with a foreword by Martin E. Marty [Syracuse, N.Y.]: Syracuse University Press, 1995
Collection was housed in a large manuscripts box when received from NYYM. All manuscripts were housed in either mylar or plastic sleeves. Plastic sleeves were removed, and the collection was sorted, placed in series, foldered, and returned to the original manuscripts box. Two unrelated manuscripts, given to NYYM by Frona Vicksell in 1997, were removed from the box and catalogued separately as Miscellaneous Manuscripts
- Stabler, Amna C. (Person)
- Parsons, Samuel, 1774-1841 (Contributor, Person)
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Contributor, Organization)
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Hicksite: 1828-1955) (Contributor, Organization)
- New York Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Hicksite : 1828-1957 : New York, N.Y.) (Contributor, Organization)
- Monthly Meeting of New York (Society of Friends : approximately 1671-1828 : New York, N.Y.) (Contributor, Organization)
- Bowne, John, 1627-1695 (Contributor, Person)
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 (Contributor, Person)
- Anna C. Stabler Family Papers, 1675-1864
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA