Philip W. Smith Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of Smiths personal correspondence (to friends, family, editors, congressmen and business acquaintances), his writings, records of various associations, and dairy cattle records.
Organization: Organized in 6 series: 1. Correspondence; 2. Russia trips; 3. Journals; 4. Farm documents; 5. Writings and speeches; 6. Biographical and miscellaneous.
- Smith, Philip W., b. 1889 (Person)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research.
Copyright and Rights Information
Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
Philip W. Smith (1889-1981) was a Quaker dairyman from Bucks County, Pennsylvania, who was a prominent peace activist and active in Russian concerns. He was born May 3, 1889, on the family farm in New Hope to Heston Jacob and Anna (Johnson) Smith and was associated closely with his older brother, James Iden Smith, also a prominent Bucks County Quaker farmer. He attended the George School and later spent a few years at Penn State University. He married Edna Wood in 1913, and the couple had four children, but they later divorced. He subsequently married Anna Waterman. In 1925-1926, he and his wife and children lived in the U.S.S.R. where he worked with Russian Reconstruction, Inc., to learn about collective farming and give witness to his Quaker testimony. In 1958-1960 he again visited the U.S.S.R., and in later life, traveled widely for peace causes.
Smith was a member of Buckingham Monthly Meeting and as an ardent pacifist, wrote voluminous letters to congressmen, presidents, and newspaper editors. He died in 1981.
2 Linear Feet (4 boxes)
Philip W. Smith (1889-1981) was a Quaker dairyman from Bucks County, Pennsylvania, who was active in Russian concerns and a prominent peace activist. In 1925-1926, he spent two years on a collective farm in Russia, and in later life he traveled extensively for peace causes. He was a member of Buckingham Monthly Meeting. This collection contains his correspondence, several journals and day books, photographs, writings on Russia, dairy farm records, and information on various groups he was involved with.
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Libraries' online catalog: http://tripod.brynmawr.edu
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposit, Lucille Smith Ulrich, 1981-82.
The collection was given to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection in 1981-1982 by Lucille Ulrich, who was the daughter of Philip W. Smith. The reminiscences were transferred to Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College in 1995, and the bulk of the papers transferred in 2000.
In 1995, Memories of a Life Time, 1973-1975. 1 v. with genealogical information was transferred to Friends Historical Library and catalogued as a Miscellaneous Manuscript, MSS 003/127. About the same time, staff in the Swarthmore College Peace Collection made a preliminary sort and subsequently transferred the bulk of the remaining papers to Friends Historical Library in 2000. Processing completed at FHL and placed in RG 5. Also from the same donor, Franklin's farm atlas of Bucks County, Penna. with clippings of Smith's letters to the editor to various newspapers and other memorabilia are pasted on blank pages among the maps. These materials were photocopied and the photocopies and miscellaneous material retained by the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. The Farm Atlas was transferred to Friends Historical Library.
- Smith, Philip W., b. 1889 (Person)
- Philip W. Smith Papers, 1906-1981
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA