Hicks Family Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence mostly relating to Quaker concerns, received by Isaac Hicks (1815-1900) and others; genealogical research of Benjamin D. Hicks, and miscellaneous collected papers concerning the Society of Friends and Swarthmore College. Correspondents include Samuel M. Janney, Job Scott, William Willets, and William I. Hull.
- Eyre, Isaac, 1819-1904 (Contributor, Person)
Language of Materials
All materials in English
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
The collection is open to research.
Copyright and Rights Information
Some of the items in this collection may be protected by copyright. The user is solely responsible for making a final determination of copyright status. If copyright protection applies, permission must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns to reuse, publish, or reproduce relevant items beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to the law. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/UND/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
The Hicks family of Long Island, N.Y., is descended from ancestors who arrived in Massachusetts in the 17th century. Thomas Hicks (b. 1640) removed to Long Island where he married Mary Washburn. Their grandchildren became members of the Society of Friends in the mid 18th century. A descendant, Elias Hicks (1748-1830), was an important New York Quaker minister whose preaching precipitated a separation in the Society of Friends in 1827/1828.
A cousin of Elias Hicks, Isaac Hicks (1767-1820) was a successful New York Quaker merchant and traveled extensively with Elias in his ministry. Isaac Hicks married Sarah Doughty in 1790, and they had six children. A daughter, Elizabeth (1805-1865) married William T. Cock in 1831. Their eldest child, John D. Hicks (1791-1829) married Mary Rushmore. They had seven children: Lydia, Isaac, Phebe, Samuel, Stephen, Valentine, and John D. Hicks. John D. Hicks (1829-1907) was on the founding committee of Swarthmore College and served on the Board of Managers.
Another son, Isaac Hicks (1815-1900) was a Quaker horticulturalist of Long Island, NY, who founded Hicks Nursery in 1853. He married Mary F. Willis in 1836. Isaac Hicks was active in Westbury Monthly Meeting and Quaker organizations. His grandson, Henry Hicks, married Caroline V. Jackson, Swarthmore College Class of 1892, and his granddaughter, Marietta, was in the Class of 1897. Marietta Hicks was long-time Clerk of Westbury Monthly Meeting and active in Quaker organizations and concerns. A distant cousin, Benjamin D. Hicks (1836-1906) pursued family genealogy.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
The Hicks family was a Long Island, New York, Quaker family with extensive connections to prominent members of the Society of Friends. The collection contains correspondence, mostly relating to Quaker concerns, received by Isaac Hicks (1815-1900) and others; genealogical research of Benjamin D. Hicks, and miscellaneous collected papers concerning the Society of Friends and Swarthmore College.
Organized in five series:
- Benjamin D. Hicks genealogical research
- Miscellaneous papers
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Graham Johnson, 2012 (Acc. 2012-010)
His wife is a Hicks descendant.
Individual photographs of Marietta Hicks, Isaac Hicks, and John D. Hicks removed to PA100/Individual Portraits. Oversized photographs of the Isaac Hicks family and 15th St. Meeting/Friends Seminary removed to Groups and Meeting House photographs.
Friends’ Seminary New York booklets were removed to reference, PG2/Schools:
- Friends’ Seminary New York, 1901, 1903
- Two brochures describing the School. Emily Hicks, younger sister of Marietta Hicks, is listed as Kindergarten teacher.
Swarthmore College memorabilia removed to RG6/College Archives:
- Invitation to the Annual Shakespeare Evening, 12th Month 19th 1896
- Performed by the Class of 1897. Marietta Hicks participated in several theatrics. See also Series 6 Photographs
- New York Swarthmore Association, 1901, 1902
- Menu/programs for the third and fourth annual banquets of the Alumni Association.
- 1898 Swarthmore Class Day program, 2nd day, 6th mo. 1898
- Has a card inside for Miss Mary S. Howell, a member of the graduating class and close friend of Marietta Hicks.
- Eyre, Isaac, 1819-1904 (Contributor, Person)
- Hicks, Isaac, 1815-1900 (Contributor, Person)
- Hull, William I. (William Isaac), 1868-1939 (Contributor, Person)
- Scott, Job, 1751-1793 (Contributor, Person)
- Janney, Samuel M. (Samuel Mcpherson), 1801-1880 (Contributor, Person)
- Hicks, Benjamin D. (Benjamin Doughty), 1836-1906 (Contributor, Person)
- Willets, William, 1808-1844 (Contributor, Person)
- Hicks, John D., 1829-1907 (Contributor, Person)
- Swarthmore College (Contributor, Organization)
- An Inventory of the Hicks Family Papers, 1784-1940
- FHL staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA