Swarthmore Schools Collection
Scope and Contents
The Swarthmore School District, Delaware Co, Pa., was created in 1893 with the incorporation of the Borough of Swarthmore. This is an artificial collection, composed of records and memorabilia from various sources and organized by the staff of Friends Historical Library.
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research.
Copyright and Rights Information
Some of the items in this collection may be protected by copyright. The user is solely responsible for making a final determination of copyright status. If copyright protection applies, permission must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns to reuse, publish, or reproduce relevant items beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to the law. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/UND/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
The Swarthmore School District, Delaware County, Pa., was created in 1893 with the incorporation of the Borough of Swarthmore. Previous to the incorporation, the area that became Swarthmore was part of Springfield Township. The new School District took over the public school building located on Yale Avenue. A second, larger structure was erected on the same site in 1898. The District graduated its first class in 1899 and subsequently erected buildings on Yale Avenue and Rutgers Avenue. From the beginning, many members of Swarthmore College faculty and staff have participated in the Borough's educational system.
Swarthmore also has a long tradition of private schools. In 1892 Arthur Hibbs Tomlinson opened a coeducational preparatory school which became the Swarthmore Preparatory School. This was converted to a boys-only school in 1913, and in the same year, Mr. and Mrs. Haldy Miller Crist opened the Mary Lyon School, a school for girls.
The great majority of Swarthmore students have attended the public schools. Swarthmore School District merged with Rutledge in 1955. In 1971, the Swarthmore-Rutledge School District was consolidated with Nether Providence School District to form the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District. The merger was completed in 1983 with the opening of Strath Haven High School.
9 Linear Feet (17 boxes (and oversize photographs))
The Swarthmore School District, Delaware County, Pa., was created in 1893 with the incorporation of the Borough of Swarthmore. This is an artificial collection, composed of records and memorabilia from various sources and organized by the staff of Friends Historical Library.
The collection is divided into five series:
- Swarthmore Rutledge Elementary School
- Swarthmore High School
- Swarthmore-Rutledge K-8
- Swarthmore Preparatory School
- Mary Lyon School
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donor: Friends Historical Library collected material, PG 2, Swarthmore Preparative School and Mary Lyon
Donor: David and Eunice Ullman, 1997
Donor: Rosemary Meding, FHL 2005.006
Donor: Deborah Berggren, FHL 2006.011
Donor: David Ffrench, SHS 2012.004
Donor: Anne Stauffer Papa, SHS 2011.012
Donor: Robert A. Detweiler, SHS 2013.016
Donor: Mrs. Charles Ennis, SHS 2013.001
Donor: John MacAlpine, III, SHS.2014.001
Donor: Marshall Schmidt, SHS 2013.015
Donor: Graeme Taylor, SHS 2015.003 Donor: Estate of Alice P. Willetts, SHS 2022.004
The materials were received from multiple sources and combined with materials collected by Friends Historical Library staff concerning the Swarthmore Prep School and Mary Lyon School. In 2014 the collection was arranged according to school units and a finding aid created.
- Swarthmore Schools Collection
- In Progress
- FHL staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA