Skip to main content

Queen's Dolls' House Correspondence

 Collection
Identifier: BMC-M100

Overview

The Queen's Dolls' House was created between 1921 and 1924 as a gift from the British people to their monarch. The project was organized by Princess Marie Louise, a cousin of the king, who solicited artists, authors,and craftsmen for donations for the various rooms and furnishings. The majority of this collection is 396 letters addressed to the Princess Marie Louise by artists who had been invited to contribute works for the print files in the library of the dollhouse. These letters accompanied the submitted drawings, paintings, and prints. There are also eight literary works, mostly n typscript, to be written into books for the library. There are also sketches of the royal monogram, used for a frieze on the edges of the book shelves in the library, by Edwin Lutyens, the prominent architect who designed the house and coordinated much of the physical work of its construction and assembly.

Dates

  • 1922 - 1923

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

This collection is open for research.

Extent

1 boxes

Language

English

Title
Queen's Dolls' House Correspondence
Status
In Progress
Author
Marianne Hansen
Date
Nov. 2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Bryn Mawr College Library

Contact:
Bryn Mawr College Library
101 N. Merion Avenue
Bryn Mawr 19010 USA US
610-526-6576