Women's National Indian Association correspondence
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised of a single folder of correspondence from Quakers regarding the Women's National Indian Association. Letter writers include Eliza W. Jones, Charles Rhoads, and Philip C. Garrett. A number of pamhplets concerning the Association are also included.
- Women's National Indian Association (U.S.) (Organization)
The collection is open for research use.
Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).
The Women’s National Indian Association (WINA) was founded in 1879 by a group of American women including Mary Bonney and Amelia Stone Quinton. Bonney and Quinton united against the encroachment of white settlers on land set aside for Native Americans. They also drew up a petition that addressed the binding obligation of treaties between the United States and Native American nations. The petition was circulated in 15 states and was presented to President Rutherford B. Hayes at the White House and in the House of Representatives in 1880.
The association's aims were for the Christianization and assimilation of Native people. It maintained missions, produced several publications, and influenced national policy, including the passing of the Dawes Act in 1887. At its height, the association had 60 branch organizations in 27 states.
The association changed its name to the National Indian Association, and was voluntarily dissolved in 1951.
This collection contains correspondence from Quakers and pamphlets regarding the Women's National Indian Association.
Processed by Kara Flynn; completed March, 2016.
- Women's National Indian Association correspondence, 1899-1900
- Kara Flynn
- March, 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections Library
370 Lancaster Ave
Haverford PA 19041 USA US