Burlington Monthly Meeting 300th Anniversary
Scope and Contents
This collection contains Burlington Meeting House materials including photocopies, newspaper clippings, deeds, and maps, specifically pertaining to the 300th anniversary celebration of the Yearly Meeting in 1981. Materials include photocopies of New York Times articles from September 1981 and November 1981, pages from the manuscript of Henry S. Haines, and pages from William Schermerhorn's "The History of Burlington, New Jersey," all of which describe the history of the Burlington Meeting House and Quakers in New Jersey. There are maps of the Burlington Meeting House and its surroundings (both sketched and photocopies). There is a summary of Deed Titles of the south side of Broad Street between Lawrence and York St in Burlington from October 1724 to 1882. Additionally, there's an original copy of a deed in which Franklin Woolman grants the property (33 ft on Lawrence St. and 27 ft on Laumaster St.) to the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the City of Burlington in June, 1876.The trustees then give out four mortgages between 1902 and 1909. Original newspaper clippings include a New York Times article from September 1981 about Quakers mediating national and international conflicts after China accepted their donation of pacemakers and a Philadelphia Inquirer article from September 1981 about the 300th anniversary celebration of the Burlington Meeting. The collection also consists of a letter from Haverford College from September 1981 about the history of Quakers in New Jersey, an introductory pamphlet of the Friends Meeting Houses in South-Central New Jersey with brief histories of meeting houses (Burlington, Mount Holly, Arney's Mount, Mansfield, and Rancoca) in commemoration to when Quakers first arrived in New Jersey, and a booklet of Harrison Township Historical Society's "A Friendly Legacy" exhibit (March to May 1981), which highlights 305 years of Quaker influence on Southern New Jersey. Lastly, there's a photocopy of a letter from the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting pertaining to event details for the 300th anniversary celebration at Burlington, New Jersey.
- 1964 - 1982
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Organization)
- Burlington Monthly Meeting of Friends (1827-1991 : Burlington, N.J.) (Organization)
The collection is open for research use.
Standard Federal Copyright Law Applies (U.S. Title 17)
Quakers first settled in New Jersey (Shrewsbury) in 1665. By 1677, Quakers had arrived in Burlington, New Jersey. In 1681, the Burlington Monthly Meeting held a general meeting (which was later known as the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting) of Quakers in the Deleware Valley. This meeting would alternate between Philadelphia and Burlington until 1760, which thereafter, the meeting convened in Philadelphia. The year 1981 marked the tercentenary of the yearly meeting, which was celebrated in Burlington on September 19th.
0.1 Linear Feet (1 Folder)
This collection contains various materials including photocopies, newspaper clippings, deeds, and maps about the Burlington Meeting House, with an emphasis on the tercentenary celebration.
Gift of Jeanne A. Ward, 2019
Processed by Sakina Gulamhusein, completed February 2023
- Burlington Monthly Meeting 300th Anniversary
- Erick Iraheta
- February, 2023
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections Library
370 Lancaster Ave
Haverford PA 19041 USA US