Yearly Meeting Epistles and Extracts
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of Epistles from England, Ireland, and the United States. Some are printed and some are handwritten. The printed Epistles are sometimes reprinted in other cities. Each Epistle is usually signed by one member of the meeting, the Clerk. See "Other Finding Aids" note for link to itemized list of epistles
- 1668 - 1944
- Rhoads, Hannah (Author, Person)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
The collection is open to research use.
Copyright and Rights Information
Standard Federal Copyright Law apply (U.S. Title 17)
Epistles are documents published by Quaker meetings directed towards other meetings. Usually published yearly, these documents contain some of the main concerns of the meetings for that year.
2.1 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Contemporary copies of epistles and extracts of Yearly Meeting minutes, of Meeting for Sufferings, and of Women Friends, of London, Dublin, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Virginia, Rhode Island from 1698-1944.
The Epistle collection is arranged first by the country from which the Epistle is from, for example: England, Ireland, or the United States. The Epistles to meetings within that country are first, followed by Yearly Meetings for Sufferings and then Epistles from Yearly Meetings of Women Friends. Epistles are then sorted chronologically.
Other Finding Aids
Itemized Listing of epistles in downloadable spreadsheet form.
Processed by Madison Arnold-Scerbo; completed February 2016. Revised by Mary Crauderueff in March 2023 to incorporate outstanding epistles.
- Baltimore Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
- Dublin Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends)
- Indiana Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox: 1828- )
- London Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends)
- New England Yearly Meeting of Friends
- North Carolina Yearly Meeting of Friends (1698- )
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library
- Quaker women
- Quakers -- Ireland
- Rhode Island Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends)
- Society of Friends -- Virginia -- History -- Sources
- Yearly Meeting of Friends, held in Virginia
- Yearly Meeting Epistles and Extracts
- Madison Arnold-Scerbo
- February 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- March 2023: Revised by Mary Crauderueff to incorporate outstanding epistles.
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections Library
370 Lancaster Ave
Haverford PA 19041 USA US