Amy Fenimore diary
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of the single original, handwritten copy of Amy Fenimore’s diary for the years 1803 to 1840. Diary entries largely focus on prayers and religious reflection, and many describe Quaker meetings, and births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community. Entries during the years 1832-1833 discuss the Hicksite-Orthodox Quaker separation, or as Fenimore refers to it, the separation between “Friends and orthodox.” Illnesses and medical treatments are also described.
- Fenimore, Amy (Person)
The collection is open for research use.
Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).
Amy Fenimore was a Quaker from Philadelphia. She married John Fenimore (d. 1816) in 1793, and was disowned by the Society of Friends, Mount Holly Monthly Meeting on June 6, 1793 for marrying a non-member. The couple had two children: Jason Fenimore (m. Mary Fell 1839), and Esther G. Fenimore. In March of 1803, Fenimore condemned her marriage outside of the Society of Friends and requested to have her membership in the society renewed, along with that of her two children. After having her membership in the Society of Friends renewed, Fenimore and her daughter Esther transferred to Spruce St. Meeting in 1840.
0.042 Linear Feet (1 volume)
Amy Fenimore was a Quaker from Philadelphia. Her diary entries largely focus on prayers and religious reflection, and many describe Quaker meetings, and births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community. Entries during the years 1832-1833 discuss the Hicksite-Orthodox Quaker separation.
Processed by Kara Flynn; completed July, 2015.
- Amy Fenimore diary, 1803-1840
- Kara Flynn
- July, 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections Library
370 Lancaster Ave
Haverford PA 19041 USA US