Skip to main content

Haverford Union records

Identifier: HCS-000-011

Scope and Contents

This collection contains four volumes of materials related to the Haverford Union. The first two volumes are minute books from meetings of the Governing Board of the Haverford Union. The books also include various letters written by former members of the Governing board, spending receipts, and a list of personal property of the Haverford Union. The second volume includes minutes from the annual meetings of the board, while the first book includes the board's constitution and minutes from general meetings. The third and fourth volumes each contain one Haverford Union Visitors Register book. Each book includes space for visitors to include the date they visited the Union, their name, their current residence, and who introduced them to the Union. The third volume also provides space to include the visitor's class year, the university, college, or school they attend or attended, and any remarks about their visit.


  • Creation: 1909-1940


Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research use.

Use Restrictions

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Historical Note

The Haverford Union was a society formed by Alfred Percival Smith (Class of 1884) in 1909, designed to foster connections between Haverford alumni, undergraduates, and faculty. As described in the Haverford Bulletin, “The Haverford Union is an organization of alumni and students for the promotion of social fellowship. The home of the Union is a large and attractive building supplied with reading rooms, recreation rooms, sleeping rooms for visiting alumni, and a large assembly hall.” Members of the Union paid yearly dues of $1.00 to $2.50 or a lifetime fee of $50. After its first year, the Union had 250 members.

The Union Auditorium hosted the Annual Meeting of the Alumni Association, along with rehearsals for various musical groups such as Glee Club and Mandolin Club. Union also housed the offices of The Haverfordian and the Haverford News. Faculty, alumni, and undergraduate members of the Union could meet in the Union building to study in the Reading Room, play billiards in the Billiard Room, play chess in the Club Room, or drink cocoa and eat crackers together in the winter months. The Union provided an even ground for alumni, faculty, and undergraduate students to interact. The Union also hosted lectures and events with guest speakers. Visitors of the Union hailed from many different states.

The Haverford Union was governed by a governing board from 1909-1919. The board was elected annually and included undergraduate, faculty, and alumni representatives, along with a president, secretary, treasurer, assistant secretary, and assistant treasurer. In 1920, the Union Governing Board transferred the responsibility of care of the building to The College. Smith, The Union’s founder, tried and failed to reverse this decision, believing the care of the Union should rest in a committed governing board.

Though the purpose of the building has changed, the Union’s home still stands on Haverford’s campus and is currently known as Union Building.


0.5 linear ft. (4 volumes)

Language of Materials



This collection contains four volumes of materials related to the Haverford Union dating from 1909 to 1940.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of John L. Scull

Processing Information

Processed by Maia Schwallie, completed September 2023.

Haverford Union records
Maia Schwallie
September, 2023
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting repoductions from Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections Library

370 Lancaster Ave
Haverford PA 19041 USA US