Skip to main content

Fifteenth Street Preparative Meeting Records

Identifier: QM-NY-N463

Scope and Contents

Records of Fifteenth Street Preparative Meeting, 1968-1975.


  • Creation: 1954-1974


Language of Materials

These records are entirely in English

Conditions Governing Access

Where available, access is through microfilm.

Conditions Governing Use

Information on reproduction policies available in the library.

Biographical / Historical

New York Preparative Meeting was established in 1753 by Flushing Monthly. In 1806 the Monthly Meeting divided the preparative into the Eastern District, meeting at Pearl Street, and the Western District, meeting at Liberty Street. The first Western District meeting was laid down in 1822 and attached its members to the Eastern District. The Eastern District changed its name to Southern District in 1824. The first Northern District was established by the Quarterly Meeting in 1820. In 1856 the Southern and Northern Districts merged and called themselves Southern District. In 1832 the second Western District, which was held at Greenwich/Downing Street was established. It became the Second Northern District in 1856. The Second Northern District meeting and the Southern District joined in 1881 and called themselves New York Preparative Meeting held at 15th Street. In 1958 the Orthodox branch, known as New York Preparative Meeting (Orthodox) until 1902 and as New York Congregational Meeting until the reunification, reunited with the Hicksites in 1958. In 1968 they changed their name to Fifteenth Street Preparative Meeting.


1.3 linear ft. (9 volumes (plus one box))


Records of Fifteenth Street Preparative Meeting, 1968-1975.


Divided into series: Minutes (men's & joint): 1.1 1963-1968, 1.2 1969-1974, 1.3 1964-1971; Vital records: 2.1 Register 1955-75; Pastoral Committee: 3.1 1960-1965; Financial Records: 4.1 Account Book 1960-1970, 4.2 Account Book 1970; Visitors' books: 5.1 1954-1965, 5.2 1965-1969, 5.3 1969-1972; Ministry & Oversight: 6.1 Correspondence, etc. 1961-71, Misc.: 7.1 Committees 1957-64.

Physical Location

This collection is stored at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College.

Custodial History

Transferred from Haviland Records Room by NYYM in 1997.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Deposit, 1997.

Fifteenth Street Preparative Meeting Records
Inventory prepared by: FHL Staff
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting repoductions from Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library