Skip to main content

Northern Quarterly Meeting (including Easton (Orthodox), Ferrisburgh, Glen Falls, and Saratoga (Orthodox)) Records

 Collection — othertype: SW/NY/N696
Identifier: QM-NY-N696

Scope and Contents

Records of Northern Quarterly Meeting (1975-1986) and its predecessors. This collection describes the records of Easton Quarterly Meeting (Orthodox), Saratoga Quarterly Meeting (Orthodox), Ferrisburgh Quarterly Meeting (Pre-Separation, Hicksite, Orthodox, and United), and Glen Falls Quarterly Meeting (Orthodox and United).

Records cover 1810 through 1986 with the bulk related to the immediate aftermath of the 1828 Separation as recorded by the Orthodox quarterly meetings.

Dates

  • 1810 - 1986

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Where available, access is through microfilm.

Copyright and Rights Information

Information on reproduction policies available in the library.

Biographical / Historical

In 1793 Saratoga Quarterly Meeting was established, set off from Nine Partners. Its name was changed to Easton in 1795. In 1810, Ferrisburgh Quarterly was set off from Easton. In 1815, Easton Quarterly Meeting set off a new Saratoga Quarterly Meeting.

The 1828 Separation cleaved Easton Quarterly, Ferrisburgh Quarterly, and Saratoga Quarterly into Orthodox and Hicksite branches. (Hicksite branches and Pre-Separation records of Easton and Saratoga are described in the finding aid for Easton and Saratoga Half Yearly).

The Orthodox branch of Easton Quarterly Meeting met from 1828-1835 under the name Easton Quarterly at Granville. In 1835 the meeting was laid down and members attached to the Orthodox branch of Saratoga Quarterly Meeting. In 1877, Saratoga Quarterly Meeting (Orthodox) changed its name to Glen Falls Quarterly Meeting.

Ferrisburgh Quarterly (Hicksite) was laid down in 1847. The Orthodox branch of Ferrisburgh Quarterly remained active through the reunification of New York Yearly Meeting in 1955. In 1975, Ferrisburgh Quarterly and Glen Falls Quarterly united to form Northern Quarterly Meeting.

In 1986, the Northern Quarter united with Easton and Saratoga Half Yearly and Quaker Street Regional to form Northeastern Regional Meeting, which remains active. Post-1986 records will be part of the Northeastern Regional Meeting collection.

Extent

0.75 Linear Feet (8 volumes)

Language

English

Overview

Records of Northern Quarterly Meeting, including its predecessors in Ferrisburgh Quarterly, Glen Falls Quarterly, Easton (Orthodox) Quarterly, and Saratoga (Orthodox) Quarterly. Includes men's, women's, and joint minutes, and ministers and elders' minutes.

Arrangement

Divided into series by responsible Quarterly Meeting.

Physical Location

This collection is stored at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Deposit,1997.

Related Materials

Pre-Separation records of predecessor meetings: QM-NY-E378 Easton and Saratoga Half Yearly Meeting Records

Post-1986 records of the region's successor meeting: QM-NY-N675 Northeastern Regional Meeting Records

Title
Northern Quarterly Meeting (including Easton (Orthodox), Ferrisburgh, Glen Falls, and Saratoga (Orthodox)) Records
Author
Inventory prepared by: FHL Staff
Date
2007
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library