Skip to main content

The Friends of Progress (Milton, N.Y.) Records

 Collection — othertype: SW/Z
Identifier: QM-Z-M5

Overview

Records of The Friends of Progress at Milton in Marlborough Township, Ulster County, N.Y. Includes: Minutes, 1854-1927. Most of the book is blank, with a 1906 membership list and an undated burial ground plot list at the end.

Dates

  • 1854 - 1927

Creator

Biographical / Historical

The Friends of Progress, in Ulster County, N.Y., was founded by former members of Marlborough Monthly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite) and met in the Quaker meeting house south of Milton. The Friends of Progress were first formally organized in 1854, although the predecessor meeting had been formally laid down by Westbury Quarter in 1847 after a series of disciplinary reorganizations prompted by New York Yearly Meeting (Hicksite).

The Friends of Progress in Milton were part of a wider movement referred to as Progressive or Congregational Friends which differed with the Hicksite yearly meetings over church government and the extent to which Quakers should support and participate in contemporary reform movements. The Milton group corresponded with others at Waterloo (N.Y.), Longwood (Pa.), Green Plain (Ohio), North Collins (N.Y.) and elsewhere. In later years, the society was primarily concerned with the maintenance of the graveyard.

Extent

.1 Linear Feet (1 volume)

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred from Haviland Records Room by New York Yearly Meeting, 1997

Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library