Skip to main content

American Association of University Women Collected Records

 Collection — othertype: CDG-A
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-American Association of University Women

Dates

  • Creation: 1920-1942
  • Creation: 1970

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research use.

Biographical / Historical

American Association of University Women (AAUW) was founded in Boston in 1882 as the Association of Collegiate Alumnae. Its members were all alumnae of accredited colleges. The name was changed in 1921 when the organization absorbed the Southern Association of College Women. In 1939, the association had 43 state organizations and more local organizations in 872 communities, and individual membership of approximately 64,000. It operates an International Relations Committee, which has been the liaison agency between AAUW and the peace movement. In 1935 the AAUW joined the National Peace Conference. For may years it was a participating organization in the National Council for Prevention of War but withdrew from this relationship in 1938.

Extent

0.42 linear ft. (1 box)

Language of Materials

English

Custodial History

The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the records of this organization.

Related Materials

  1. American Association of University Women Bulletin
  2. Disarmament Bulletin periodical by the American Association of University Women International Relations Office
  3. International Problem of the Month periodical by the American Association of University Women
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting repoductions from Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US
610-328-8557
610-328-8544 (Fax)