Skip to main content

Biosophical Institute Collected Records

 Collection — othertype: CDG-A
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Biosophical Institute

Dates

  • Creation: 1924-1939

Historical Note

The Biosophical Institute, inspired by the teachings of Spinoza, was founded by Dr. Frederick Kettner. Peace principles played a prominent part in this movement. Kettner described biosophy as "The science of the inner life which has its roots in the eternal nature of the universe and of man, teaching us how to come to the consciousness and practice of cosmic principles, laws, and qualities, which are essential to individual wellbeing and freedom and to the creation of an ethical-social fellowhsip."

Kettner founded the Spinoza Study Group circa 1924, Committee of Spinoza Lovers circa 1926, Spinoza Institute of America in 1928, and the Spinoza Center in 1929, all of which were combined to form the Biosophical Institute.

Kettner and the Biosophical of sponsored the Secretary of the Peace League, which was a subsidairy to the Institute.

Extent

0.17 linear ft. (2 folders)

Language of Materials

English

Custodial History

The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the records of this organization.

Related Materials

Biosophical Page periodical

Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting repoductions from Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US
610-328-8557
610-328-8544 (Fax)