Harlem Ashram Collected Papers
Collection consists of one printed letter from Jay Holmes Smith"A Call to a World Brotherhood Mobilization" by Smith, one issue of Play Coop News, and an undated letter from Agnes Ryan to David R. Clark about her plans to open a School of Non-Violence.
- Majority of material found within 1942-1946
Language of Material
Materials are in English.
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research without restrictions.
Biographical / Historical
Harlem Ashram; in existence from 1940-1947; an interracial pacifist group living together, organized by J. Holmes Smith, a Methodist missionary working in India who had been expelled from India because of his support for Indian independence, and then came to the United States to spread Gandhi's message of pacifism; this ashram was located in Harlem near Fifth Avenue and 125th Street in New York City; residents of the ashram included James Farmer, George Houser, Bayard Rustin and John Swomley at various times, where they considered the potential for transforming satyagraha into a tool in the struggle against racism.
0.08 Linear Feet (1 folder.)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US