Embassies of Reconciliation Collected Records
Printed material, 1936-1940: reports, pamphlets, releases, magazine and newspaper clippings; accounts of George Lansbury's visit to Hitler, 1937.
- Majority of material found within 1936-1940
Biographical / Historical
During the International Fellowship of Reconciliation conference of 1936, the Embassies of Reconciliation were formed to oppose the growing threat of war. Embassies were established in Europe, the United States, and Asia to initiate peace efforts with various world leaders. An office was acquired in London, and work commenced at the end of 1936. The Embassies issued annual reports for 1936-7, 1937-8, and 1938-9. Financial support was provided primarily through Barrow Cadbury. During its two and one-half years of active life, efforts were made to bring about some form of reconciliation and negotiated settlement. The War Resisters' International chair, George Lansbury, toured Europe and met with Hitler and Mussolini; H. Runham-Brown, Percy W. Bartlett, Charles Raven, John Nevin Sayre, Henry Carter, and Friedrich Siegmund-Schultze all played leading roles. The movement spread among Roman Catholics, notably through Max Josef Metzger (Bruder Paulus), who was to become a martyr under Hitler, and the Austrian Kaspar Mayr. The major work of the Embassies of Reconciliation ceased with the outbreak of war in 1939. It financed goodwill trips to Asia and to South America (by Muriel Lester) in 1940. In subsequent years, various grants were made. The accounts were closed in December, 1967.
0.08 Linear Feet (1 linear in.)
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the archives of the Embassies of Reconciliation.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US