Weston-Super-Mare Peace Society Collected Records
A peace society located in Somerset, England, and founded in 1910.
- Weston-Super-Mare Peace Society (Organization)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Copyright and Rights Information
Biographical / Historical
The Weston-Super-Mare Peace Society, located in Somerset, England, was founded in 1910. Frances Mary Over served for many years as its honorary secretary, with Charles Brown, Harrison Jackson, and F.B. James as its presidents. The Objects of the Society were: 1) "to emphasize the teachings of the 'Prince of Peace' concerning the Universal Brotherhood of the Human Race; and 2) to promote by moral suasion the distribution of Literature, and by Public Meetings, the principles of Peace, and of Arbitration for the settlement of all National disputes; and to spread information with reference to the evils of the policy of Aggression and Militarism." Many members of this society were Quakers; it was active in the support of local conscientious objectors during World War I.
0.25 Linear Feet (3 linear in.)
Other Finding Aids
For the catalog record for this collection, and to find materials on similar topics, search the library's online catalog
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Processed by Anne M. Yoder, Archivist), March 1998.
- Animal rights
- Conscientious objectors -- England -- Weston-Super-Mare -- History -- Sources
- Pacifism -- Religious aspects -- Christianity -- History -- Sources
- Peace -- Religious aspects -- Christianity -- History -- Sources
- Peace -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends -- History -- Sources
- Peace -- Societies, etc. -- History -- Sources
- Peace movements -- England -- Weston-Super-Mare -- History -- Sources
- Quakers -- England -- Weston-Super-Mare -- History -- Sources
- Weston-Super-Mare Peace Society
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US