David Cortright Papers
David Cortright is an anuthor and antimilitarist. He was a co-founder of GI's United Against the War in Vietnam. After the early 1970s Cortright led several peace organizations, including SANE, Inc. and SANE/FREEZE. Cortright current serves as president of the Fourth Freedom Forum [ca. 1996 - date].
- 1968 -
- Cortright, David, 1946- (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English, German, and Portugese.
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
The collection is open for research use.
Physical Access Note
All or part of this collection is stored off-site. Contact Swarthmore College Peace Collection staff at firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance of visit to request boxes.
Copyright and Rights Information
David Cortright is an anuthor and antimilitarist. He was born November 15, 1946 in East Stroudsberg, Penssylvania. He was educated at Notre Dame University; and received a Ph.D. from the Union Graduate School in 1975. While while serving three years in the Army (1968 - 1971), Cortright was active in GI organizing at Fort Hamilton and Fort Bliss. He was a co - founder of GI's United Against the War in Vietnam. In the mid 1970s Cortright studied at the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington D.C., and research led to his book Soldiers in Revolt. He also organized environmental action groups in Pennsylvania. from 1972 - 1974. From 1977 - 1987 Cortright served as the Executive Director of National Committee for a SANE Nuclear Policy (later called SANE, Inc.). After SANE's merger with the Nuclear Weapons Freeze Campaign, he became Co - Director (with Carolyn Cottom) of the merged organization, called SANE/FREEZE. Cortright current serves as president of the Fourth Freedom Forum [ca. 1996 - date].
29 Linear Feet (29 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
For the catalog record for this collection and to find materials on similar topics, search the library's online catalog.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is the official repository for these papers.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of David Cortright, 1987 [Acc. 87A - 003], 1992 [Acc. 92A - 083]. 1998 [Acc. 98A - 075], [Acc. 98A - 084].
- Soldiers in revolt : the American military today
- Computer disks 42.1 - 42.22
- Audio Cassette 329 (2 boxes) taped interviews for Left Face
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
This collection is unprocessed; this finding aid by Eleanor A. Fulvio, July 2009.
- Cortright, David, 1946-
- Cortright, David, 1946- -- Soldiers in revolt
- Militarism -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Military unions -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Pacifists -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Peace movements -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Soldiers -- Political activity -- United States -- History -- Sources
- United States -- Armed Forces -- Political activity -- History -- Sources
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Protest movements -- United States -- Sources
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2018: The file list was standardized in Summer 2017 by Mary Olesnavich in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace. Tessa Chambers added the notes in Fall 2017.
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US