George A. Hoadley photograph collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains photographs taken by George A. Hoadley, long-time professor of physics at Swarthmore College and secretary of the Franklin Institute. A founder of the Swarthmore College Camera Club, he was a avid amateur photographer. Approximately 2,000 of his glass negatives were preserved in the family home; they illustrate Swarthmore College and local homes and sites from circa 1899-1929. The collection also includes a small number of film negatives and photographic prints.
- Majority of material found in circa 1890-1929
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
The collection is open for reserach,
Copyright and Rights Information
Some of the items in this collection may be protected by copyright. The user is solely responsible for making a final determination of copyright status. If copyright protection applies, permission must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns to reuse, publish, or reproduce relevant items beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to the law. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/UND/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
George A. Hoadley was born in Sheffield, Massachusetts, in 1848 and graduated from Union College in 1874 with degrees in engineering. He served as principal of Argyle Academy, New York, 1874-1879, and at high schools in Massachusetts before being appointed professor of physics at Swarthmore College in 1888. In 1892 he was appointed Vice-President of the College, and he served as Acting President several times. While he remained committed to the College, he retired from the faculty in 1914 to become secretary of the Franklin Institute. As well as supporting College interests and activities, he served as president of the Swarthmore School District School Board. In 1900 with his second wife, Marie Kemp Hoadley, he moved his extensive family into a large frame home at 518 Walnut Lane, Swarthmore, a house which remained in the family until 2019. Ecumenical in his religious practice, he was a founder of the non-denominational Union Church in Swarthmore and occasionally lectured at the nearby Swarthmore Meeting. George A. Hoadley died in 1936.
Hoadley was married three times and had nine children, most of whom attended Swarthmore College. With his first wife, Ida Burtch Hoadley, he had four children, all of whom attended Swarthmore College. Ida died in 1891, and in 1895, George married second Marie A. Kemp, a professor of German at the College, 1891-1901. She earned her B.A. and A.M. from Swarthmore College. Marie had one child, Anthony deHothleigh Hoadley, born in 1901.
In 1908, George A. Hoadley married third Fannie Burnham Kilgore, a Swarthmore College graduate, school teacher, and 32 years his junior. Her mother, Carrie Sylvester Burnham Kilgore (1838-1909) was a suffragist and the first woman admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar. Three of Fannie Hoadley's children graduated from Swarthmore College. Son George B. Hoadley (1909-1995) became a Quaker on request and married Mary Elizabeth Betts in 1934 under the care of Buckingham Monthly Meeting. His younger sister, Florence A. Hoadley, Swarthmore College Class of 1932, became a member of Swarthmore Monthly Meeting in 1937 and lived in the family home until her death in 1993.
6 Linear Feet (2 letter size boxes, plus small boxes for glass photographs) : Includes 3 albums, one cased image, and approx. 1,000 glass images (some are duplicates)
The collection contains photographs taken by George A. Hoadley, long-time professor of physics at Swarthmore College and secretary of the Franklin Institute. A founder of the Swarthmore College Camera Club, he was a avid amateur photographer. Approximately 2,000 of his glass negatives were preserved in the family home; they illustrate Swarthmore College and local homes and sites from circa 1899-1929.
The papers and pictorial material were stored in the family home and include clippings compiled by George A. Hoadley's daughter by his third wife and secretary, Florence A. Hoadley, who lived in the house until her death in 1993. Her grandparents were Damon Y. and Carrie B. Kilgore. The donor, John Lawrence, Jr., is Florence's great-nephew and grandson of Anthony deH. Hoadley, son of George Hoadley's second wife, Marie Kemp Hoadley. Marie and George Hoadley built the house at 518 Walnut Lane in 1900.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of John Lawrence, Acc. 2019.030
- George A. Hoadley photograph collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA