Fair Hill Boarding School records
This collection includes manuscripts relating to the establishment of Fair Hill Boarding School by the Baltimore Yearly Meeting. Included are documents concerning the purchase of land, distribution of the Fair Hill Fund, and lists of rules for Westtown and Nine Partners Boarding Schools. These materials reflect Quaker views of education and their objectives in the establishment of Quaker schools. Especially interesting is a letter from Ann King relating the efforts of Nine Partners School to maintain Quaker values. Other correspondents include John Ellicott, William Morsell, Caleb Bentley, and Whitson Canby.
- Ellicott, John, 1769-1820 (Contributor, Person)
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for research use.
Biographical / Historical
Fair Hill Boarding School was opened by Baltimore Yearly Meeting in 1819 to provide for a "guarded education" for Quaker youth. The school was suspended in 1825, and the property finally sold in 1865.
.1 Linear Feet (.1 linear feet (1 folder.))
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Gift of. Method of acquisition--Bliss Forbush; Date of acquisition--1979.
- Description rules
- Archives, Personal Papers, And Manuscripts (Appm)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA