World War, 1939-1945 -- Civilian relief
Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 14 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Edward W. Evans (1882-1976) was a Quaker leader and lawyer active in the educational and peace concerns of the Society of Friends. The collection primarily contains papers compiled by Edward W. Evans during his time as Secretary of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Orthodox), from 1938-1946. Of particular interest are the materials concerning Civilian Public Service. The collection is significant in its documentation of pacifist attitudes and the ways in which the Society of Friends was active...
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-B-Great Britain-Friends Ambulance Unit
Overview The Friends Ambulance Unit was a volunteer ambulance service that operated during both World Wars as well as for a period after WWII (1946-1959). It was founded by a group of British Quakers and most of the volunteers were registered conscientious objectors. This collection contains loose black and white photos (now in sleeves) of the Friends Ambulance Unit in Syria and France. Some of the photos in this collection ran in Harper's Bazaar.
Dates: 1941 - 1943
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-B-Great Britain-Friends' Relief Committee
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-B-Great Britain-Friends Relief Service
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-B-Great Britain-Friends War Relief Service
Abstract Collection consists of pamphlets and correspondence, including one 1943 letter which documents, as part of the letterhead, the name change from Friends' War Victims' Relief Committee to Friends War Relief Service: "Friends War Relief Service, incorporating F.W.V.R.C. and Civilian Relief Section of F.A.U." [Friends Ambulance Unit].
Dates: Majority of material found in 1943
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-B-Great Britain-Friends' War Victims' Relief Committee
Abstract Collection includes pamphlets, annual reports, and periodicals.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1914-1942
Overview Established in 1938 by the New York Monthly Meetings (Hicksite and Orthodox) at the 20th Street meeting house, the New York Friends Center was created initially to provide a meeting place for Quakers and to serve as a Quaker information and reception center in New York City. Lectures and social events were held. Sponsorship of service projects began in the 1940’s. In November 1962, the American Friends Service Committee assumed responsibility for the programs of the New York Friends...
Dates: 1938 - 1964
Overview The Workroom, a project of the 15th Street and 20th Street New York Monthly Meetings, was established in 1940 by the Joint Peace and Service Committee of the New York Monthly Meetings. The sewing room produced garments for needy children during World War II. This collection contains one photo album, two packets of snapshots, and one folder of sixteen loose photographs. The photo album documents the Workroom activities as well as international photos of recipients of garments, with descriptions....
Dates: 1940 - 1976