Feminism -- United States -- History -- Sources
Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Common Ground was a community of faith founded by Quakers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 1982 to break cycles of poverty, racism, and sexism through nonviolence education and action. Collaborative work with Baton Rouge Friends Meeting, local Clergy and Laity Concerned and Dignity chapters led to founding and shared workspace at Bienville House Center for Peace and Justice. Common Ground developed an educational program for abused residents and ex-residents from the city's domestic violence...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1982-2006
Overview Lucretia Mott was a prominent Philadelphia Quaker minister and a leader in reform movements, especially antislavery, education, peace, and women's rights. She was born in 1793 in Nantucket, Mass., the daughter of Thomas and Anna Coffin, and educated at Nine Partners Boarding School in Dutchess Co., N.Y. In 1811, she married James Mott and they settled in Philadelphia, Pa. The Motts were active Hicksite Quakers, and Lucretia served as clerk of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and traveled in the...
Overview Movement for a New Society began in 1971 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as a national network of activists committed to building a nonviolent revolution. Movement for a New Society grew to be a community, based in several areas around the United States. While Movement for a New Society was always an activist organization, it was also a co-housing and/or communal society. Movement for a New Society collectives formed in the Boston/Northeast Region, the Mid-Atlantic Region, Tucson, Seattle,...
Overview Philadelphia Women's Peace Encampment was a radical feminist direct-action collective with a focus on issues including nuclear disarmament, anti-militarism, racism, and right-wing repression. It served as an affinity group for the Women's Encampment for a Future of Peace and Justice, based in Romulus, New York.
Overview WIN Magazine was started in January 1966 by the New York Workshop in Nonviolence, a New York City pacifist direct action group which functioned as an affiliate of both the Committee for Nonviolent Action and the War Resisters League. In September 1966 full title of the magazine became WIN Peace and Freedom through Nonviolent Action. WIN solicited articles and poetry promoting many liberal and radical causes including disarmament, draft resistance, war tax refusal, and other pacifist concerns as...