War -- Moral and ethical aspects -- History -- Sources
Found in 12 Collections and/or Records:
Another Mother for Peace was a women's peace group born from the antipathy to the war in Vietnam, based in Los Angeles, California. The stated purpose of this non-partison, non-profit organization was "to educate women to take an active role in eliminating war as a means of solving disputes between nations, people and ideologies." AMP closed its offices in January 1986.
Henry J. Cadbury (1883-1974) was a distinguished Biblical scholar, teacher, and a member of the Society of Friends. Cadbury was one of the founders of the American Friends Service Committee. He served as its chairman from both 1928 to 1934 and again from 1944 to 1960. Cadbury supervised famine relief both in the United States and in Europe.
CCCO developed a nationwide network of military and draft counselors and attorneys to assist conscientious objectors. Most active during the Korean and Vietnam Wars, the CCCO promoted such issues as amnesty, repatriation, and counter-recruitment.Operations were suspended in late October 2009. As of 2010, some of their counseling service has been taken over by the GI Rights Hotline.
The Federal Council of Churches organized its Committee on the Conscientious Objector under its Department of International Justice and Goodwill in 1941. The Committee was interested in all aspects of conscientious objection, especially religious life in Civilian Public Service camps. Among the Committee's projects was the organizing of a program of visitation to CPS camps.
Papers of a Frances K. and Dwight S. Large, who worked for legal amnesty for Vietnam War resisters.
The Metropolitan Board for Conscientious Objectors was a non-sectarian, free advisory service for conscientious objectors to war and military service. The MBCO was set up to provide counseling and legal aid in metropolitan New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut and established by the United Pacifist Committee in 1940. The group disbanded in 1980.
The Student Peace Union was founded at the University of Chicago in 1959. It was an intercollegiate student group whose members believed that neither war nor the threat of war could any longer be successfully used to settle international disputes.